Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 21, 2003, 1:10 PM   #1

Default Olympus? Fuji? Petax? Which brand should I go for?

Hi!
I'm currently trying to hunt down my ideal digital camera, but I'm absolutely useless at making decisions! I've been researching in to it the past week or so and there's a few I quite like, but need some advice. My boyf has just bought a petax 550, but I don't want anything that complicated. I've been thinking about the fuji a303, olympus c-350/d560 (I think they're the same??) olympus 300 and the pentax 33L, but suggestions of other cameras would be great.

I would like:

*at least 3 mp
*GREAT quality photos
*style 8)
*easy to use
*a good all rounder :lol:
*not too expensive (about the same price range of those mentioned above)

I hope someone can help because it's driving me mad!
Thanks in advance!
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2003, 1:35 PM   #2

Two of your statements conflict!

"My boyf has just bought a petax 550, but I don't want anything that complicated"

and

"*GREAT quality photos "

Sorry, but having to learn to use photographic functions/techniques is how you get 'great' photos. A Canon EOS 1DS would do one little good if they had no photographic skills.

IF you insist on simplicity, but with some manual controls available, the Canon A70 would probably suffice. It is an excellent digiital camera in it's respective price range($300).

If you are really interested in 'GREAT' photos as you put it, you may want to consider something a bit more versatile, with better lens, external flash hot shoe, etc.

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 2:10 PM   #3

What I mean is, I don't need anything as good/advanced/expensive as the 550 and of course I want features on the camera to get great results, but as long as they aren't too complicated-I'm just a beginner, not a professional!!!
Thanks for your advice anyway. There seems to be a lot of people suggesting the canon cameras on the forums. Are these best?
Old Jul 21, 2003, 5:01 PM   #4

"There seems to be a lot of people suggesting the canon cameras on the forums. Are these best? "

Depends on what you mean by best. Personally, I pay little attention to opinions or general consensus, and if I do, it is usually provisional. I base my recommendatinos on the test data that has been objectively demonstrated(or as objective as is avaialbe for reference), and avaialbe features and measurements.

I offer this camera only as a suggestion. Please look up the cameras in ths price range and compare funcitons and test results at a site such as www.imaging-resource.com. However I do warn that the only tests of real value their are the timings of cycles/etc. and the dave box test and ISO resolution tests. Of course, these still require correlation.

The Canon A70, in it's respective price range, happens to be one of the best values according to my requirements: especially since it has manual cnotrol available.... a not so common feature on low price range consumer cams.

If you have more specific uses then please list them. But for overall general purpose with the added functon of manual controls, it is the best value for general use IMO.

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 11:36 PM   #5

Default Re: Olympus? Fuji? Petax? Which brand should I go for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn
Hi!
but suggestions of other cameras would be great.
As you're in the UK, you could take a look at the website of my friendly local camera shop in Wrexham, www.wrexcam.com, who have their finger on the UK market pulse, and also have lots of impecunious but happy customers like me.

This will show you what they think is the best value for money at present. Their regularly updated paper booklets are more comprehensive than the website. Their booklet of 1July liked the A-70, but thought most people wouldn't use all the features and they said the Fuji 310 & Toshiba T-30 were good competitors.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 12:12 AM   #6

The reason that you see so many people recommending the a70 is probably the great feature set. This camera has an af-assist lamp and up to iso 400 for low light shots and most importantly it gives you the option of automatic point and shoot or full manual controls. Besides the feature set the a70 has superb image quality at an affordable price.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 10:23 AM   #7

Thanks all-your advice is appreciated. The A70 looks like a pretty good camera, so I'll definately look in to it further. Alan, I'll also check out the website and those cameras you suggested, thanks