Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 9, 2007, 2:33 PM   #1

Dear all,

I have owned my first digital SLR, a Canon 350D, for just over six months now. I do most of my shooting at (ice)hockey games, so work mostly with ISO 1600 and high shutterspeeds (thanks to my 2.8 70-200). I shoot directly to JPEG.

Recently I have noticed horizontal stripes in my images, which are so severe that they will even show when cropping the images to really small sizes like 465x310. At first I wondered whether it was occuring because I was shooting through the plexiglass boarding, but it turns out that is not the case.

I have done a search on the internet and have asked around locally. I wonder whether I am experiencing banding and, if so, how normal this level of banding is.

The easiest way is to simply show you two examples. The first is a 100% crop of a shot made through a boarding of the side of a player's head. You are looking at part of his visor, the strap of his helmet and his ear.

The second example is again a 100% crop, but this one not shot through a boarding. It is part of a picture of a presenter; you are looking at his jacket.

I really hope that somebody can shed some light on this, because I am starting to get worried.

Thanks for your time and assistance.

Regards,
Fintan
fintan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2007, 1:35 AM   #2

I don't use that camera but I did a decent amount of research on it when camera shopping. I've seen a lot of sample photos from that camera and though it may be possible to see banding on photos taken at ISO 1600, I wouldn't expect them on anything faster than 1/4 second. If those photos were indeed shot at the speeds indicated and were not severely brightened in Photoshop then I would think there is definitely some kind of hardware problem going on there.

Your camera should still be under warranty so I would contact Canon about the problem and see if they can do something about it. Sending it in might mean doing without the camera for quite a long time though (like 6-8 weeks) so be prepared for that.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 2:24 AM   #3

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
(..) though it may be possible to see banding on photos taken at ISO 1600, I wouldn't expect them on anything faster than 1/4 second. If those photos were indeed shot at the speeds indicated and were not severely brightened in Photoshop then I would think there is definitely some kind of hardware problem going on there.(...)
Thanks for the quick reply. The examples shown are unedited, 100% crops from the original files. And yes, they were definitely shot at the shutterspeeds indicated; I checked the EXIF to be sure.

The camera is indeed still under warranty, so perhaps I should ask the question over at Canon. Hockey season is over, so missing the camera for 6-8 weeks is not good, but acceptable

Keoeeit wrote:
Quote:
(...) it finally boiled down to one brand of memory card, and when in use near strong sources of radio-wave interference. That brand was Lexar in the past.

Try again with a different memory card brand, and test your camera again with the same brand when not at the hockey arena. See if it goes away. (...)
Thanks for that suggestion also. I had read about the possiblity of interference by radiowaves, so it might indeed be worth trying a different brand. I am currently using Transcend cards, which otherwise work like a charm.

I have not seen the issue pop up outside the rink, although I do not generally shoot at ISO 1600 in other settings.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 1:51 PM   #4
Super Moderator

You didn't happen to have it very near a mobile phone or other radio device did you?

I have heard some people say that this causes very noticable interference at high ISO values.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2007, 2:27 AM   #5

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
You didn't happen to have it very near a mobile phone or other radio device did you?

I have heard some people say that this causes very noticable interference at high ISO values.
Well, I do have a mobile phone on me. But it was not specifically close to the camera; there would have been at least a meter between the two I'd say. Also there was a lot of press about, but that was no different for all the other photographers.

I have been shooting with Transcend cards upto now, but have bought a Sandisk Extreme III now to compare the results with. Unfortunately the hockey season is over, but I'll try some dark, high ISO shots around the house to see if the problem also arises on the Sandisk.