Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 23, 2003, 8:43 AM   #1

Default help on what to get for a second digital camera...

hello everybody!!! nice board!!! I'm from the Philippines and asking for some help.... I'm on dilema right now on what to get for a second cam, main purpose would be for everyday and anywhere use, spur of the moment shots, something that I can leave in the car and not worry, easy to carry around...

I'm currently have my eyes on the Sony cybershot U20, it's cute and small, especially the blue color perfect for the above mentioned usage, my only concern is it does not have a zoom whatsoever...

another camra that caught my eyes is the Casio Exilim S2, btw, I think my budget would only get me a camera that has only 2.0 MP, whick is P10-15K approximately $200-$250.

any suggestion would very much be appreciated... thank you

I presently have a Nikon coolpix 4300, so far it has serve me well...
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2003, 9:00 PM   #2

The U20 as a second 'knock-about' camera can't be beat, IMHO. You WILL take it with you everywhere. You WILL get the shots that no one else does.

The relatively wide angle lens is actually a great benefit for candid/quick reaction/ get-the-shot-worry-about-composition later type of situation. You can just sort of point the camera in the general direction of the subject and press the shutter release--your have your shot. I don't miss having zoom on this camera at all.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 9:20 PM   #3

Default re

Thanks, but are you having a problem taking subject with background on this camera? so compare to the casio, U20 is the better camera for everyday use, how about in terms of functions? aside ofcourse for the zoom....

what is the difference between the U20 and U30? does the U30 now hae a zoom?
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 9:28 PM   #4

I can't comment on the Casio as I have no direct experience with it. For me, the Casio didn't offer enough benefit to me for the extra cost.

I haven't had any problem situations with the U20 other than in very low light conditions. The flash is weak and too close to the lens, but after all what could one expect from such a small package. I didn't buy it for low light level shooting so I am not surprised by its lack of low light performance therefore I am not disappointed because of it.

With regard to the U30, about the only difference of note that I can spot by comparing specifications is that the U30 can handle MS Pro cards.

Ok, it also has a cutesie little mirror on the front so you can take a picture or yourself--big yawn.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 9:28 PM   #5

I can't comment on the Casio as I have no direct experience with it. For me, the Casio didn't offer enough benefit to me for the extra cost.

I haven't had any problem situations with the U20 other than in very low light conditions. The flash is weak and too close to the lens, but after all what could one expect from such a small package. I didn't buy it for low light level shooting so I am not surprised by its lack of low light performance therefore I am not disappointed because of it.

With regard to the U30, about the only difference of note that I can spot by comparing specifications is that the U30 can handle MS Pro cards.

Ok, it also has a cutesie little mirror on the front so you can take a picture or yourself--big yawn.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 3:59 PM   #6

The Sony's have an excellent track record, I'd go with that.

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote