Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 14, 2007, 8:25 AM   #1

I'm been looking at the Nikon 5700 on ebay and find they are real popular. I wonder why so many people still like this old camera. Is it worth buying at about $200. when you can buy many new point and shoot digital cameras for that amount. So buy new or a 5700??
borchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:30 PM   #2

If I see a lot of older anything for sale, I figure just the opposite. If there are many units for sale, many people are trying to get rid of them. If they really were popular, these same people would be holding on to them for their continued personal use.

The 5700 is hardly a bad camera -- I own one myself -- but many of them have shown up with bad sensors. Nikon even offered to replace the sensors (free) on any cameras that exhibited certain image defects and the 5700 was one of the hardest hit camera lines.

Furthermore, the 8700 came out a little later and essentially "fixed" many of the perceived deficiencies of the 5700, almost like the 5700 was the Beta release of the 8700.

I'm not really well aquainted with the specs of new cameras in that price range, but a new model would likely have a significantly faster start-up time and less shutter lag. The 5700 has no focus assist lamp, either, so it's low-light focusing is not very fast or accurate.

In it's defense, the 5700 does take very good quality pictures: It has a very good lens and does very good macro work. The articulating lcd screen is kind of cool.

I figure that the 5700 is only going to get more obsolete, but then, I don't really know what $200.00 buys in a new camera nowadays. Print out the specs and features of the 5700 and compare them to those of some new cameras that catch your eye.

Grant

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:24 PM   #3

I own a 5700 and I will say... It took some great pictures, while it worked. 511 shots into it's life my flash started giving me the SB error that plagued many 5700's. My warranty was not honored by Nikon claiming the problem was due to mis-use, even though they didn't even have the camera in their hands yet... I used it mostly for outdoor stuff and the flash was used occasionaly for Macro shots not much else.

At 998 shots the CCD on my camera went nuts and started shooting black with white halos and lines through everything. Again I got the blow off. Then later after my warranty expired they let out the alert/recall regarding the CCD problem. I'm still trying to get them to fix it, but once again they don't even have the camera in their hands and I was told it was an LCD problem and not covered under the terms of their alert. Hmm My LCD appears fine, it shows the menus correctly... I've owned several coolpix cameras, and recommended some to friends, but I steer everyone away from this wreck.

I have also read about the gears jamming up quite easily on them, this was in part due to people adding adaptors and lenses and not being careful or setting the proper lens type in menu. When the camera was powered on it would extend the lens fully and wound up crashing the cameras lens into a filter orother add on.

Mine would also on occasion lock up and require me to yank the battery, this was pretty rare and like most digital cams happened when the battery was getting on the low side. Since I'm a PC user I am used to computerized stuff locking up and accepted it as normal behavior.

My gears are still fine, but it's basically an expensive paper weight with a dead CCD. Price per pic for an $800 investmentmakes thisthe most expensive camera I have ever owned...

achillies775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 3:48 PM   #4
Administrator

So, do you join forums and answer 6 month old threads for the purpose of Bashing Nikon?

Did you send the camera to them and let them look at it?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 4:18 PM   #5

No. I did not join to bash Nikon... I joined because I was going to ask a few questions and came across this post while trying to read all I could before posting. The information is still relevant, and I just talked to Nikon "again" on Wed about sending in the camera "again" in hopes that this time they might do something.

I never had any problems like this with my other Nikon digitals, and was pretty disapointed with the 5700 in regard to its number of problems and lack of support/acknowledgement. Seeing several 5700's still on the market in new or near new condition, why not post my experience with it?

I didn't bash Nikon either, I bashed the 5700, which in my opinion deserves it.

I found it strange that I just spoke to Nikon about the issue, came here like I always do to read reviews and posts, and came across the thread. Sorry for the necropost, but I felt it was worthwhile for the budget folk who might just be thinking about buying one off ebay or similar.

achillies775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 5:23 PM   #6

Coolpix 5700s can be either very good or very bad. I've had no problems to date with mine yet my son has had both the "Blinking Green Light of Death" and the defective sensor both of which were fixed by Nikon Canada either on warranty or service directive.

5mp was an optimum pixel density for the 2/3 sensor that gave good results at lower ISOs. Nothing compared to a DSLR but still better than many bridge cameras on the market today.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:12 AM   #7
Administrator

OK -- maybe I was a bit harsh. My apologies.

But, if it's got a bad CCD and your LCD works fine, I can't imagine them telling you it's an LCD problem unless you got a new rep, or they misunderstood the way you explained the issue to them. I'd try again.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote