Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 28, 2003, 5:18 AM   #1

Default blurred background

I have a canon A70 and was just wondering how you get blurred backgrounds with it? i have had a little search not finding much. i have a very small idea how, but if some one could tell me, that would be great.
Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2003, 5:53 AM   #2
NHL

It's called Depth Of Field (DOF), ie you want less of it... The larger the aperture, the lesser the DOF is. In most cameras that would means going to the aperture-priority mode and selecting a smaller number of f-stop (the larger the number the smaller the aperture). Try to get closer, the farther away from the subject the camera is the more DOF you'll have... also the zoom @ the tele position also helps to reduce the DOF as well!

The problem is with most digicams with smaller CCD sensors, one tends to have very deep DOF, so the other option is to use Photoshop or other photo editing tools similar to it: The trick is to duplicate a layer and apply Gaussian blur with various radius to this new layer, and then go back with the eraser tool and erase out the areas you want to keep the subject(s) in sharp focus and maintain the other areas blurred. You can then control the level of blur by changing this new blur layer's opacity...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 7:14 AM   #3

Thanks, ill try it when i get home from work. It made more sence than some other things ive read to explain it.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 3:33 PM   #4
kex

hi.
I got a Canon A60.
You can also get a blurred background by using the "P-Mode" of the cam and enabling the macro-mode.
Then use the AF and take the photo.
The background should now be blurred.
You can also use the manual mode, using a shutter of about 1/500 and a 2.8 lense.
Good luck!
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 6:15 PM   #5

Another way to do this is to use a photo editing program... select the subject in the foreground, use a blur for the background then put the picture back together... The details depend on the software you're using.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2003, 4:52 AM   #6

Thanks people that helped, i tried it out and can now take somewhat blurred background pics, just need to work on it
Old Jul 29, 2003, 9:57 AM   #7
Administrator

Also use the focal length of the lens. Zoom to full telephoto and shoot a fairly close subject.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote