Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 30, 2003, 3:46 AM   #1

Default Digital zoom

I will be purchasing my C750 this afternoon (or tomorrow afternoon), however there is one thing that i'm slightly unclear about.

I have been advised to stay clear of the digital zoom for taking distant shots, why is this?

Regards

Simon
Bigwigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2003, 6:52 AM   #2

Default Why not digital zoom?

Simon -

Your best quality picture will be with the optical zoom. It uses the "full range" (or size) of the digital sensor. When you move from optical zoom to digital zoom, all you are doing is digitally enlarging the center portion of your picture. The result can be a "pixelated" (is there such a word?) picture, i.e., a picture that looks very noisy. Also and this is true at the long reach of the Oly 7X0 optical zooms, the camera is very sensitive to camera movement; a tripod / monopod or a very steady hand is required. Now that all said, I've seen some pictures using digital zoom that are very acceptable.

Enyoy your C-750. Take lots of pictures! Regards -

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-7
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 7:26 AM   #3

Thanks Paul, I will leave the digital zoom alone for now... If I need to enlarge an image I will use Photoshop.

Many thanks

Simon
Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:28 AM   #4

If you wish to digitally enlarge (or crop a lot) do it using Genuine Fractals - a PS6+ plug-in.

Otherwise leave digital zooms alone - they're as much use as a chocolate teapot.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 2:34 AM   #5

Quote:
they're as much use as a chocolate teapot.
LOL. I will stay well clear of it.

Thanks Steve
Old Jul 31, 2003, 8:25 AM   #6

Bigwigg

If you really want to crop and enlarge the picture, do it in your computer in post processing. In many (but not all) cases, you'll get as good or better results this way. Your computer has more computing power available to it, so it can resample the picture using more complex algorithms which do a better job.

I conditionalize the statement with "but not all" because your camera does many things while turning the light hitting the sensor into a picture. Somewhere in that process it will crop and enlarge the picture (as requested by the chosen level of digital zoom.) It is possible that it will do it before applying sharpening (for example.) That is something you can not reproduce in your PC. If you sharpen on your PC during post processing, then it will be done after the sharpening done incamera. So it is possible that your camera can do things in an order which your PC can't. This might effect the quality of the picture.

This will be camera specific. But the odds are that your PC will do a better job than your camera at "digitial zoom"ing. You could test it, or just go with the odds and not use the "digital zoom".

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 12:22 PM   #7

That basically sums up everything that I have been told so far.....

I'm having some success with photoshop 6 at the moment, and along with camera use it seems that practice, practice and practice some more is the key.

http://www.panasonic-europe.com/lumi...me.asp?lang=en
Old Aug 7, 2003, 8:55 AM   #8

Digital zoom can be handy though, depending on what you want to do with the photo you make.
I find digital zoom very handy when making photo's for web-publishing only. I can zoom in extremely this way.
Especially if you have a 3mp or higher camera, the end result
will have a fair resolution of 800x600 or so which is quite suitable
to display on a computerscreen. For websites you don't really
need much higher resolutions anyway unless you want to make
your photo's available for others to print them on paper.
If you use best quality 3mp resolution and you use 1 or 2x digital zoom, the endresult (1280x960 or so) will still have fairly good quality
when printed in standard 10x15cm size.
If you plan to enlarge your zoomed in photo, then don't use
digital zoom, but use only optical and if needed enlarge with photoshop or simular prog.
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2003, 9:19 AM   #9

Cheers Freddie
Old Aug 7, 2003, 10:23 AM   #10

My 602 like some other cams, also offers the post shot digital zoom, pan and crop features.

Has anybody got a good use for this?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote