Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 30, 2003, 8:22 AM   #1

Default still vs movie

I'm interested in taking still photos (up to 8x10) with maybe a video clip or two. What's the difference between a still camera that can shoot video and a camcorder that can take stills? What are multifunctional cameras? What should I buy?
milljj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2003, 9:07 AM   #2

A camcorder's primary purpose in life is to take motion video, so it does it quite well and you'll get better quality video from a camcorder.

A DigiCam's primary purpose is to take still photos and not motion video.

So, if you will be taking still pix with the occasional video, then get a DigiCam. If your main use of the camera is to take video and then take an occasional still pix, then get a camcorder. This of course eliminates the need to carry different equipment for each need. If you want to take HIGH quality video and HIGH quality pix, then get both.

HTH
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 12:16 AM   #3

If you want good 8x10s and only the occassional video clip, get a camera with a built in video clip function. For 8x10s you'll need about 3mp and i'm not even sure if there are video cameras that have this resolution (plus if there are, they won't come cheap). Check out the canon a70, great all around 3mp camera that takes video clips with sound: 1 minute of 640x480 or 3 minutes of 320x240.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2003, 9:02 AM   #4

also be aware that digital photocamera's have various video-recording qualities, with or without sound and sometimes no more
than 10 or 15 frames a second!
Which results in a shaky movieclip.
My HP735 makes 320x240 movieclips, with sound and 19 frames a
second. Though I did not expected it, the movement is quite smooth for 19 frames/sec ! Quality can be compared with a VHS tape (a little bit less than VHS actually)
I have also spotted cam's who do 640x480 at 30 frames/sec ,
don't know if that is also with sound.
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2003, 2:37 PM   #5
djb

the fuji s602z will do video @640x480 w/sound @30fps or 320x240 @30fps. it records as much as the memory will allow. @ 1gB it records about 15mins in VGA. the only drawback to fuji's video is that you have to prezoom and prefocus before starting the video. it does not allow zooming or refocusing during record.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 1:04 AM   #6

Same with my HP735! unlimited videorecording and only prezoom, not during recording. But that does not alter my opinion about my cam which I'm quite satisfied with.
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 6:00 AM   #7

Incidentally, the reason why zoom and focus is locked out, is the exposure is determined at the start on the first frame. More importantly, because JPEG (not MPEG) compression is used which, is not motion predictive, anything moving gives the high compression a very hard time - and zoom is the worst experience for compression and processor load! Pan shots can be just as testing.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 1:01 AM   #8

Also, zoom is often disabled in cameras that can record sound because otherwise, you'll hear the zoom mechanism in your movies.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 5:34 AM   #9

Yes, that's another point, also the sound on still digicam movie is pretty poor due to the omni electret microphone they stick in front.

They rarely provide an external mic. socket to get round this.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote