Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 30, 2003, 6:12 PM   #1

Default memory

hi!
I'm soon to buy my first digital camera, and do not know a lot about them, so was wanting some advice!!

Could anyone give me a ballpark figure for the number of pictures a 16mb xD picture card can store?

Also, roughly how many could a 64mb xD picture card store?

Many thanks,

Nathan.
nathanenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2003, 8:58 PM   #2

Default Can't tell you

The answer is it depends. It depends on the resolution and format of the pictures you're taking. The best resolution JPEG files from my camera are around 2.5mb. If I shoot TIFF or RAW the files are up around 12mb. On my old camera the pictures generated were about .8mb.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 4:04 PM   #3

If we presume a 2 megapixel camera and the high quality
jpg you could store a little less than one pic/per MB.

Hope this helps.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2003, 8:41 AM   #4

surely a 64mb xd card can hold more than 64 photo's???!!
I've been told by others that you can hold up to 100 fine and 150 normal pictures on them...is this not accurate?
I thought a normal 16mb xd card was roughly the equivalent of a normal 35mm film, that is, you could hold about 25 fine and 36 normal pics?
Old Aug 1, 2003, 8:49 AM   #5
kex

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanenglish
I've been told by others that you can hold up to 100 fine and 150 normal pictures on them...is this not accurate?
I thought a normal 16mb xd card was roughly the equivalent of a normal 35mm film, that is, you could hold about 25 fine and 36 normal pics?
Hi,
I got a Fuji Finepix A204 with a 64 MB xD Card.
The cam has 2MP and the card can hold up to 101 pictures in fine, and 159 pictures in normal mode.
So, that's exactly what you said.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2003, 9:53 AM   #6

Kex, i myself have opted for a finepix A204 with 64mb xD card....thanks for the info! Hopefully it's a decent enough camera??!!
Old Aug 1, 2003, 10:36 AM   #7
kex

Quote:
Kex, i myself have opted for a finepix A204 with 64mb xD card....thanks for the info! Hopefully it's a decent enough camera??!!
It was the first cam I ever bought, and I am quite satisfied with it.
It makes good fotos, doesn't matter if landscape or macro.
I just missed the ability to change the shutter and all that manual stuff; thats why I bought a Canon A60 now.
But if you'd just like to take some good photos, then you'll be happy with the Fuji A204.
It's worth its price, but the price decreased really fast.
I bought it in December last year for 250, and now it costs about 160 here in germany.
However, it's a good cam for beginners.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2003, 11:16 AM   #8

cheers kex, most appreciate your advise. As all i plan to do is take decent quality photo's, the A204 should be good enough. Cheers.
Old Aug 2, 2003, 3:54 AM   #9

Quote:
As others have pointed out, it depends on what you are willing to live with. If you want the maximum number of pictures and detail isn't important (as would be the case if you were shooting solely for use on the WEB), then you can get a lot of pictures on a 16 meg card. If you have a 3 mg camera and save your pictures in high resolution (ie low compression) JPEG format (the most common format used in P&S digicams), you will need close to 1 mg/picture so only about 16 on a 16 mg card. If you store in uncompressed RAW format (maximum information stored), then you will only get 1 or 2 pictures on a 16 mg card.

The more interesting question is, why are you so stuck on a 16 mg card? Memory is really cheap right now. Get a 128 or 256 mg card and you don't have to worry about all this <G>!

Regards,
<TED>
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 4:27 AM   #10

I'm not stuck on a 16mb card, that's what the camera comes with. I've also bought a 64mb card. I cannot get a 128mb card, simply because i haven't got the money!
As al i wish to do with this camera is to take pictures of a faily decent quality, i'm pretty confident that it'll do the job.