Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 24, 2007, 3:57 AM   #1

I have got a macro lens (Tokina 100mm f2.8 ) for my D80.

I have never use a macro lens with DSLRbefore and I have some basic questions.

With my previous FZ30 I need to switch to macro mode when taking a macro picture with its fixed lens and closeup lens. Also for converters lens (tele and wide angle) I need to change the setting in the menu.

But for DSLR, I think the macro lens can do the job without changing the macro mode asit isdesigned for a particular purposelike closeup distance shots.

Do I need to use macro mode on the camera when taking the macro picture using the macro lens?

Or I can take a macro picture with macro lens inManual mode, Aperture mode, shutter mode etc.?

Which one of above is the correct method to shoot the closeup/macro pictures?

Thanks.
chwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2007, 1:35 PM   #2

chwin wrote:
Quote:
Do I need to use macro mode on the camera when taking the macro picture using the macro lens?

Or I can take a macro picture with macro lens inManual mode, Aperture mode, shutter mode etc.?

Which one of above is the correct method to shoot the closeup/macro pictures?
The Nikon D80 has a Close-Up mode that will automatically focus on whatever is in the center of the frame (instead of deciding what to focus on from many possible choices, as in the other shooting modes.) So you can use whatever shooting mode you want with the macro lens attached. The camera doesn't actually care what lens is connected, so if the Tokina 100 doesn't have anything special you need to do to focus up close, then use whatever shooting mode you want.

For instance, for flowers you might want to use the aperature priority to take advantage of the depth of field, but for a flea circus you might want to use the shutter priority or the sports mode in order to capture the action.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 10:11 AM   #3

Thanks TCav.

Now I understand clearly about using the macro lens from your reply..

But I have some more questions:

Some of the pictures shown in the forums are quite big but what I got is smaller than those pictures (taken the same insect like butterfly but mine are always smaller than others even in 1:1).

Any methods that need to use for closeup macro shooting with the macro lens?

Or just crop or resize the picture to show bigger?

Or need to use some extension tube or close up rings with the macro lens?

Any suggestions...
chwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 5:04 PM   #4

Actually, the image as it appears in a web browser is a function of the resolution of the screen. Typically, a PC will display images at 96 pixels per inch, while a Macintosh will display images at 72 pixels per inch. (This is one of the reasons that web pages display quite differnetly on Macs than they do on PCs.)

You have the option of displaying your photographs on screen in your own web browser. You can open your web browser (Internet Explorer, FireFox, Opera, etc.), go the the file menu and select the Open command, and browse to your photos, pick one, and open it. The only factors that determines how large it will appear on your screen is the resolution of the screen (1024x768, 1280x1024, etc.)and the size of the image (3008x2000, 3872x2592, 4288x2848, etc.)

So the only reason one image on this web site appears larger than another is because the size of the image, not the camera or the lens used to take it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote