Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 29, 2007, 2:02 AM   #1

My dad has a Sony Alpha 100. He recently took a series of seascape photographs on bright sunny days using Automatic Programme and AWB.

They all displayed a heavy blue cast which could not be subsequently corrected by computer software.

He is tempted to try to correct this via the colour temperature mechanism rather than contrast or saturation.

Is this the right way to go about things and if so what colour temperature would you suggest?

Many thanks in advance.
Beejygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2007, 9:21 AM   #2

Can you post an example?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 1:18 AM   #3

Thanks, I will once I work out how to use photobucket!!
Old May 30, 2007, 11:17 AM   #4

Beejygirl wrote:
Quote:
My dad has a Sony Alpha 100. He recently took a series of seascape photographs on bright sunny days using Automatic Programme and AWB.

They all displayed a heavy blue cast which could not be subsequently corrected by computer software.

He is tempted to try to correct this via the colour temperature mechanism rather than contrast or saturation.

Is this the right way to go about things and if so what colour temperature would you suggest?

Many thanks in advance.
Sounds like something that happened to me when I had the wrong White Balance set outdoors. I realize that you indicate it was set to AWB, but sometimes AWB gives me a tough time but mostly in indoor situations where the lighting confuses the camera. I have always been able to fix the images if I shot in RAW mode, but I have had some luck making adjustments even to JPG images.

Like previously suggested, posting some examples may help.
Bennigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 7:48 PM   #5

Forget photobucket - post them here - http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=2

Just resize the pics using a program like IrfanView - it's free (and it doesn't strip your EXIF) .

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 12:20 PM   #6

Old Jun 16, 2007, 8:53 PM   #7

I see there haven't been any replies since you posted the photo. I lost track of some things when the forums were down, probably others did as well.

This shot doesn't really look to have much color cast to it. The sky and water, taking up such a large part of the photo, do give that impression though.

One way to give it a warmer look, if that is what you are after, is to add a bit of orange to the picture. Photo shop elemnts has this filter available, and most editing software allows you to adjust colors, some more sophisticated than others.

Learning to use editing software with digital photos is much like using a darkroom with chemical processes, just much neater, and you can undo what you don't like.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote