Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 4, 2007, 6:15 PM   #1

Hi people, i recently got a PowerShot A630 digi cam and when i try import my photos , iphoto will close 'unexpectedly' every time and this has only started to happen now, its very annoying. The only reason i think this is happening is because i plugged out usb without doing it safely (couldnt find that option if there was one). if anyone knows any other reason why this could happen please let me know.

Thanks
Shanezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2007, 1:30 AM   #2

Shanezz sez: Hi people, i recently got a PowerShot A630 digi cam and when i try import my photos , iphoto will close 'unexpectedly' every time and this has only started to happen now, its very annoying. The only reason i think this is happening is because i plugged out usb without doing it safely (couldnt find that option if there was one). if anyone knows any other reason why this could happen please let me know.

I have no idea if the failiure to follow the "safely remove usb device" routine, but if you don't see the option in the system tray, try going to My Computer and right-clicking the drive icon corresponding to your camera and see if you get an exit option. If not, you might find one by left single-clicking the drive icon to highlight it, then check your edit options in the upper left section of the window. You might find a Remove option listed.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 1:10 AM   #3

How long had you been using it this way before it had a problem? Since you are using iPhoto, I guess you have a Mac, which I am not familiar with. With WinXP you can right-click on the drive, and select properties, getting an option to optimize for performance or ease of removal, which allows disconnecting USB as long as drive is not being accessed.

Are you using the camera or a card reader to import photos? Have you tried formatting memory card in camera? Use your computer to look at the memory card to see if it has all the memory it should. Sometimes they also get loaded up with file folders that remain, taking up space even after the pictures have been removed.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:57 AM   #4
Administrator

Many of the Canon models are not USB Mass Storage Compliant. So, software that copies photos from them must understand how to communicate with the camera. If you've done any software updates, that could have stepped on something somewhere in the software or drivers using by iphoto (speculation, since I don't use a Mac or iphoto).

You could also have some corruption on the card causing errors, and if you were doing something like deleting an image (I never do this from a PC since that writes to a card and I don't want to risk corruption), and didn't use the safely remove feature, the writes may have been cached and corrupted something on the card. I never write to a memory card I plan to use in a camera with a PC (and that includes deletes, because that's also writing to the FAT).

I'd suggest a card reader anyway. They're very inexpensive now, and you also don't have to worry about your camera's battery running down while copying.

I'd also agree with the previous poster... Format the card using your camera's menu choice for format (not a PC).

I reformat my memory cards prior to every use with a camera's menu choice for format, no exceptions.

Formatting using the camera's menus is usually just as fast or faster than deleting the images, and formatting also insures that I always start out with a fresh, uncorrupted File Allocation Table on the memory card, just the way the camera expects it (since it's performing the format).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:50 PM   #5

Shanezz,

Your Mac does not need any additional software to download from the Canon. iPhoto should work. Do two things: First, if you really want to use iPhoto to download, first tell your Mac that you want to launch iPhoto when you plug in the USB cable from the camera. To do this, go to "Applications" and choose "Image Capture". Within this, you can tell Image Capture to open iPhoto whenever a USB camera is plugged in, and this will happen no matter what brand of camera you have. Secondly, repair "Permissions." Go to the pull-down menu at the top of your screen under "GO", then slide down to "Utilities"then choose "Disk Utility". Once opened, you can choose to "Repair Permissions." I would do this regardless. Hopefully this helps. I've never had my Mac refuse any download from a USB camera. Macs don't use the camera's crummy software to download. It simply "sees" the USB connection and uses it's internal software to download. Worst case, you can use the Image Capture program to download images and save them in a desktop folder, then import them into iPhoto. I do this because within Image Capture I can initially choose what images I want to download instead of every photo.
EvanF19 is offline   Reply With Quote