Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 5, 2003, 9:52 PM   #11
AF

Default THanks to everyone who responded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti
That is one heck of an LCD. Mine and a lot of others are totally useless in the dark ..... i am talking about using the LCD at night to frame a shot ... you're not talkign about viewing pictures are you???

What i am saying is, to view the frame at night using the LCD is near impossible and becuas ei have an EVF, the problem is not resolved, an optical viewfinder would solve that issue.
Oh I see what you're saying. The sony I have has a red light that comes on when I want to take a photo. It is not 100% but it helps me see what I'm framing. But nevermind, I agree with you. It's not bright enough, and turns off too fast to really properly frame a shot.
AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 9:55 PM   #12

The difference between the two is that an optical viewfinder is the best way to conserve battery power. I only use the LCD for framing when using macro mode (paralax is critical in this case) or when I want to frame a picture but can't get it to my face for whatever reason (such as holding it high above everyone else's heads).

I agree with much of what has been said. The LCD is pretty much useless in low light.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 10:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisr
The difference between the two is that an optical viewfinder is the best way to conserve battery power. I only use the LCD for framing when using macro mode (paralax is critical in this case) or when I want to frame a picture but can't get it to my face for whatever reason (such as holding it high above everyone else's heads).

I agree with much of what has been said. The LCD is pretty much useless in low light.
I must admit, the Fuji has unbeleivable battery life, they seem to last forever. SO I only use the LCD, the EVF is underexposed and it's just plain awful and as mentioned ... both the LCD and EVF are USELESS in the dark .... i would kill for an optical viewfinder.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 11:00 PM   #14
NHL

Like I said not all EVF are created equal, I've took some amazing shots with the D7's at night:

In automatic mode it turns to B&W in pitch darkness just like a night vision goggle, and on manual the EVF stays on color and varies in intensity as one increases/decreases the shutter speed or aperture!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 11:20 PM   #15

Well, not all pictures are created equal either. With a picture like the above, it matters little the kind of viewfinder given that it is a distant object and well lit compared to the background. Last week I was in Atlantic City and took some nice night time shots using the optical viewfinder of the camera just as I would if using my film camera.

This was a Kodak DX4330 in "Night Mode" with flash turned off and rested against a pole for steadyness.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2003, 1:24 AM   #16
AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Like I said not all EVF are created equal, I've took some amazing shots with the D7's at night"
Wow the Minolta Dimage 7 sounds like an amazing camera. I will have to try it.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 1:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Like I said not all EVF are created equal, I've took some amazing shots with the D7's at night"
Wow the Minolta Dimage 7 sounds like an amazing camera. I will have to try it.
Well see now he's gettiung into serious prosumer camera's .. i figured you were talkign strictly consumer.

It's a GREAT camera but it's enormous and a right bugger to cart around.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 1:55 AM   #18
AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti
Well see now he's gettiung into serious prosumer camera's .. i figured you were talkign strictly consumer.

Yes I want to upgrade to a prosumer camera in the future. I'm on my way to becoming a serious hobbyist I think. Already the 2.3 MP I have doesn't seem like enough. I am planning to get at least an 5MP camera when the price comes down a little bit.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 3:36 AM   #19

A lot more to camera's than MP's ..........
Old Aug 6, 2003, 5:46 AM   #20
NHL

Guys

I know the feeling... My Coolpix 990 (or Agfa 1680) LCD is useless in the dark, ie you can't pick out any details and I have to use the optical viewfinder as well, but even then you are not seing what the camera is really caturing to its flash card! With an EVF based camera with a WYSIWYG mode one doesn't even need a meter... You see what going to be stored in memory!

What else can you shoot @ in low light beside stationary object? Anything else that moved will be blurred:

Beside even with a dSLR with true optical viewfinder like my 10D, its brightness will vary with the speed of the lens used and with f4.5 or higher that not much help either... You can not based experience on a few bad EVF's examples to declare that all EVF are bad!

Go to the stores and try them, but just make sure to check a Minolta out... Beside not all cameras are created equal either the above picture (check its EXIF) was taken in pitch dark and the camera automatically took two pictures: one regular picture @ 4s, and another also @ 4s but with the shutter close to subtract out noises in the darkframe! Also check this feature out and see if your camera does this!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote