Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 21, 2007, 1:35 AM   #1

The new genre of camera's come with the much hypedface detection technology. Could anyone please explain me how useful is it, annd is it worthwhile to invest in the extra dollars for it?:?
mtgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2007, 6:23 AM   #2

I can detect a face easily enough, so no, I wouldn't spend the money on a camera that does it for me.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 6:26 AM   #3

D'oh! Forum glitch!
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:48 AM   #4

There are many people who compose the picture they want in their LCD and push the shutter. They leave all the decisions to the camera. As a result they sometimes find they are focused on the background when they are taking a picture of closer people who are not in the center of the frame. From everything I have read face recognition works well to find the face (or a face) the person is shooting and put it in focus. For people who just want the camera to do the job for them it is probably a useful feature.

I've never owned a camera that was set to auto flash except by accident. Cameras with any type of flex focus always have it disabled and the camera set on spot or center focus. I want to know whether the flash is going to fire and I want to know exactly what it is focused on without having to consult a LCD or EVF. So for my use face detection would be something I just had to make sure was always turned off. But it could be a very useful feature for others. It is probably better than some current systems that will focus on foliage closer than the target thinking it might be a person.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:09 AM   #5

Just yesterday a tried to grab a shot of someone behind her desk before she noticed me. I had no time to do more than compose and fire. The darn camera focused on her computer not her. Yes had I taken more time it would not have been a problem. The 2nd pic turned out fine but in that one she "posed"

Face detection would have solved that.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 12:32 PM   #6

There seems to be some misconceptions regarding face detection technology...

It is more than just a focusing aid - it also adjusts exposure. It is particularly useful when photographing a group of people in a backlit situation, or indoors. FD ensures that the people's faces are properly focused and exposed, rather than the foreground or background. It adds flash, if necessary to achieve natural skin tones.

Great for quick candid snaps, when you don't have time to think about settings.

FD is not an option you can add to a particular camera...the camera either comes with it, or it doesn't. Therefore, you are not really spending extra money to get fd. And, if you buy a camera that has it, you can always turn it off if it doesn't appeal to you.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 4:08 PM   #7

thanks everyone for their inputs
mtgoat is offline   Reply With Quote