Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 30, 2007, 1:27 PM   #1

Hi,

The camera continues to be in the shooting mode even when switched in the playback mode (from the button which has two options - playback mode and shooting mode) I can't access the playback menu either. However, the quick playback is functional, so I am able to see the photos clicked.

Is this a hardware problem or some setting issue? This has happened suddenly without any shock to the camera. I was shooting in a place where there was a lot of moisture, but the camera has not been anywhere close to water.

mansikapur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2007, 1:40 PM   #2
Administrator

Try pressing the DISP button I see on the back of your model.

With each additional press of the button, it should cycle through a new display mode (and each mode will vary as to how much information is being shown on display). With with some models, one of the settings is for Display Off. So, I'd try press DISP first to see if your Nikon works that way, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 1:47 PM   #3
Administrator

Ooops.. I didn't read your entire post. If the switch on the back (just to the right of your DISP button) is not working (camera still in record mode, no playback menus visible), it could be a faulty switch.

I'd use all dials, switches and buttons to make sure a bit of oxidation under one of them isn't causing it (or one of them is stuck in between a position). Most will clean themselves a bit from use (just from the friction of using them).

Old Jun 30, 2007, 1:51 PM   #4

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply.

The display mode works fine as do all the other button/ modes except the one I mentioned.

Just to be be more clear, I'm talking about the button on top of the multi selector. It has two options: Shooting mode and playback mode. The camera remains in the shooting mode even when I push the button to the playback mode. If I press Menu, I'm taken to the shooting menu, despite the button being the 'playback mode position.

However, asI mentioned, I am able to see the photos that I have taken if I use the Quick button (below the menu button).

I may sound a bit paranoid, but have just picked up the camera yesterday from and it was working fine. I doplan to take it to the service centre but that is two days away since its the weekend.

What I want to know is that: How serious is the problem? Will I have to incur a huge repair cost?

A couple of things:

1. I have tried resetting the camera. Have taken out the batter, memory card and inserted them again.

2. It has been raining very heavily where I stay and i've tried taking some shots of the rain, but from inside my house, so the camera has not got anywhere close to water. Could it be moisture?

3. The last time the mode worked allright was before I was transferring the photos from my camera onto the computer. I can still transfer the phtos. No problems with that or with any other function.

Thanks again for your help.

Mansi

Old Jun 30, 2007, 1:56 PM   #5

Hi,

This is the reply to your second post. All the other dials/ swtiches are working fine. i've tried using them.

I guess it looks like the swtich in question might be faulty. How expensive could it be to replce that? Also, will a camera service be enough?

Old Jun 30, 2007, 1:57 PM   #6

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...nikon8700.html.

The switch is on the right of the MENU button and top of the Multi selector.

Old Jun 30, 2007, 1:58 PM   #7
Administrator

Yes, I know the switch you're referring to (above the multi-controller button and to the right of the MENU button, or just below the zoom controls). I should have said to the right of the menu button versus disp button in my last post. lol

My best guess is that it's a faulty switch. But, something else could be causing it (bad battery causing low voltage, short somewhere, loose connection, another button partially depressed, failed component, etc.). You've moved it back and forth a few times to make sure it's making a good connection, right? Any change at all (even intermittent) when you change the switch position?

Old Jun 30, 2007, 2:02 PM   #8

No. No change whatsoever. Yes, just once, when I was zooming out and the switch was in the playback mode, for a fraction, it went to the last photo. That's it.

Infact I can click pictures even when the button is in this mode! Seems like the camera wants me to only click pics not review them! :-)

The funny thing is that I can still see the photosthough the QUICK button (below the MENU button).Only, I cannot get into the playback menu though this.

Old Jun 30, 2007, 2:06 PM   #9
Administrator

It's probably a bad switch or loose connection. But, make sure to try *all* dials, switches and buttons on the camera, in case a different one is impacting it's operation (stuck, oxidation, etc.).

Old Jun 30, 2007, 2:16 PM   #10
Administrator

mansikapur wrote:
Quote:
I guess it looks like the swtich in question might be faulty. How expensive could it be to replce that? Also, will a camera service be enough?
I don't know what Nikon is currently charging to fix one. My best guess would be around $200 for most repairs by the time it's all said and done. It's usually more than you think for a simple repair (labor involved, etc.).

BTW, if the camera was not intended for sale in the country you live in, your regional Nikon distributor (Nikon USA, Nikon Canada, etc.) will refuse to service it. So, hopefully, it's not a gray market camera if you decide to go that route and have it fixed.