Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 1, 2007, 3:24 AM   #1

Hi,

Love playing with my new Canon 400d - but the supplied strap is uncomfortable - it's a bit stiff and scratchy.

Can anyone recommend a better strap for me? Ideally I'd like one that's nice and soft and that's not too thick to be squashed intomy camerabag.

Are neoprene ones any good? They sound great but I'm not so sure about the 'bounce'factor. I've found myself wandering round with my camera slung over my shoulder a lot and my current strap digs in to my neck.

Many thanks in advance...
Beejygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2007, 5:18 PM   #2

I have an OP/TECH USAneoprene strap and I like it a lot better than the original, but there are others.

And the bounce factor you refer to is the strap absorbing a shock instead of your neck and the camera. I think that's a good thing.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 12:19 PM   #3

TCav wrote:
Quote:
I have an OP/TECH USAneoprene strap and I like it a lot better than the original, but there are others.

Ditto on the OpTech strap ... especiallycomfortable with a heavy lens attached.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:34 AM   #4

Make it 3. I also have/love the Op/Tech strap.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 11:00 AM   #5

The Op/Tech ones that I've seen are a bit wide - great for you neck but a little bit tricky for packing into a bag. Still quite good straps, though.

I've also heard warnings that some people dislike that they have plastic connectors on them. The fear is that plastic, when it starts to break, develops micro cracks that are invisible to the human eye. If they had used metal clips then you'd be able to see when they were starting to break.

Personally... while this is true, it seems like there are much better things to worry about than this.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 2:03 PM   #6

eric s wrote:
Quote:
I've also heard warnings that some people dislike that they have plastic connectors on them. The fear is that plastic, when it starts to break, develops micro cracks that are invisible to the human eye. If they had used metal clips then you'd be able to see when they were starting to break.
If someone frequently exposes their camera strap to extremes of heat and cold, this might be an issue, but in a more normal environment the plastic connectors are never subjected to stresses that approach their elastic limit.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 2:19 AM   #7

Thanks for your suggestions - I'll have a look to see which is the thinnest strap and see if there are any shops in the UK selling it!
Beejygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:42 PM   #8

It seems to me that a thinner one would stretch more. Then you might get a bounce factor.

One more thing about the plastic connectors. These are the same connectors that are used on bicycle helmets, which are tested by the Consumer Product Saftey Commission, the American Society for Testing and Materials, and the Snell Foundation, for their ability to stay fastened under extreme conditions. I think they can handle a camera.

And metal connectors will develop microcracks too.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:58 PM   #9

I tried the Optechs and they're comfortable but there is a bounce factor. Right now I'm using teh Domke "gripper" straps and they're pretty good IMHO.
henryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 10:29 AM   #10

I looked at the Domke "Gripper" camera strap, but decided on the Op/Tech strap because the plastic connectors allow me to remove the neoprene portion in the middle, connect the two ends together, and have a nice hand strap.

The Op/Tech is flexible in more ways than one.