Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 4, 2007, 2:15 PM   #1

hello everyone,

Im using an olympus e500 dslr and when i use an old OM manual lens with a aperture ring, i can see the viewfinder get dimmer as i lower the aperture.

When i use one of my auto kit lens with no manual aperture ring, i set the aperture using the control dial but the image in the view finder stays the same, yet when i take the picture the image is dimmer like it should be and DOF is where i assume the aperture setting would produce.

Is this normal on all dslr's? i thought one of the major points of the slr was "through the lens" viewfinder image, and aperture is the only thing that affects that image besides composition...
batrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2007, 3:19 PM   #2
Administrator

batrug wrote:
Quote:
Is this normal on all dslr's?
Most modern SLR type cameras (both film and digital) will always focus with the aperture wide open, only closing it down to the desired setting when the shot is taken.

That allows more light to get through to the Autofocus Sensors (and your viewfinder), and allows more accurate focus since the aperture is wide open, where DOF is shallowest.

A number of cameras (both film and digital) include a Depth of Field preview button (pressing it stops down the aperture so you can see a change of Depth of Field in the viewfinder if desired before taking a shot). But, I don't think your Olympus E-500 has this feature.

Quote:
i thought one of the major points of the slr was "through the lens" viewfinder image, and aperture is the only thing that affects that image besides composition...
Lots of other things impact the image (for example, your shutter speed, white balance, ISO speed, camera settings for sharpness, contrast, saturation.....). ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 3:31 PM   #3

thank you sooo much jim! it makes so much sense now lol.

yeah my e500 does have the dof preview feature but i gota replace my custom WB button with it. and i ment that aperture is the only thing that effects the viewfinder image. anyways, thanks again!
Old Jul 4, 2007, 5:39 PM   #4

correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to use anadapter to put your OM lenses on this camera....right?

So the adapter most likely does not have a linkage for the diafram. requiring you to stop down to the working aperture before each shot. or if it does have a linkage you are not attatching the lenses correctly.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 8:34 PM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
A number of cameras (both film and digital) include a Depth of Field preview button (pressing it stops down the aperture so you can see a change of Depth of Field in the viewfinder if desired before taking a shot). But, I don't think your Olympus E-500 has this feature.
Jim, all Oly E-system cameras have depth of field preview; it can be accessed through the menu, or programmed to a dedicated button on the back of the camera. For the E-500, see p. 47 and 128 in the manual.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:29 AM   #6

tj,

yes im using the om adapter for my e500 and it doesnt have the linkage.

this is my first slr so the whole "focus with the aperture wide open, only closing it down to the desired setting when the shot is taken" system is news to me, but it makes alot of sense.

I do enjoy seeing the effect instantlyfrom stopping down manually with the OM lens though