Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 11, 2003, 10:35 AM   #1

Default Canon A70 v Coolpix 3100 picture quality

I have shortlisted the Canon A70, Coolpix 3100 and Olympus mju300 for a potential 3Mp purchase but have encountered the following problem.
Test shots taken with the A70 and Coolpix 3100 produced considerably different results, the A70 showed better colour rendition but the Nikon exhibited significantly sharper images and greater depth of field. With both cameras in auto mode and the subject an outdoor shot (bright sunny day)of a lightly shaded area of a garden the A70 displayed a reading of f2.8 @ 1/400 sec on the LCD. this does not seem to be a particularly combination for the light conditions that prevailed and the image lacked sharpness and depth of field. The same subject taken on the Nikon 3100 and an old 1.3mp Olympus produced a much sharper better image and good depth of field when viewed at full screen on a 19" monitor. Most reviews consider the Canon A70 to be an excellant camera and I am left puzzled by my results and wonder if I have not used the camera correctly. Any advice or comment would be greatly
apppreciated.
neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2003, 2:06 PM   #2
kex

Hi,
I think the auto-mode of the canon a60/70 isn't that good.
I've got a A60 and the pictures I took in auto-mode didn't have a good DOF and sharpness as well.
But you can achieve much better results using the manual mode.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 1:00 AM   #3

Well canons tend to produce a naturally soft image. But there are benefits to a soft image, such as more detail that a camera with automatic sharpening will lose. Besides, you can always sharpen the photo later in most photo-editing programs, but if you unsharpen an image from the nikon, you won't get the extra detail of the canon. Also, the lack of depth of field was caused by the 2.8 aperature. The bigger the aperature (and lower the f-stop number) the less dof. The camera probably thought you were focusing on a specific plant and therefore treated it like a potrait and blurred the background. Try the camera on aperature priority mode and set it to a higher f-stop number. Also, the af-assist lamp of the canon is a virtual must for indoor photography.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 3:41 AM   #4

Thanks for your helpful comments Advark50.
I've re-evaluated the pictures and agree with your appraisal.
The A70 is probably the best of the three under consideration - now have to decide where to purchase, UK or USA on my next visit.
neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 6:04 PM   #5

neutron, detailed reviews of both the Canon A70 and Nikon Coolpix 3100 were posted at dpreview.com today. I think you'll find these reviews very useful.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona70/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp3100/
CyberSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 9:06 PM   #6

No contest ... A70 by miles
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 1:35 AM   #7

I agree with Alfisti
IgorCipar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2003, 9:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSky
neutron, detailed reviews of both the Canon A70 and Nikon Coolpix 3100 were posted at dpreview.com today. I think you'll find these reviews very useful.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona70/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp3100/
wonder what took so long for them to review these cameras.