Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 23, 2007, 12:03 PM   #1

Hello again,

I have been complaing in another post how I can not get the sharpness with my Fuji FinpixF30 that I have been used to from my Canon. Here is an example, any suggestions? Thanks

Attached Images

bbsstmez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2007, 7:42 PM   #2

Most cameras allow you to choose a different level of sharpness in their set-up. Have you tried that?
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:46 AM   #3

Fuji cameras generally have three levels of sharpness that you can apply to an image when it is saved in the camera. The level of sharpness is buried in the cameras menu system. However with my Fuji S-5100 and Fuji S-9100 applying sharpness to an imaghe makes it look oversharp or not right to me. However for your own taste you can try adding sharpness via thecontrol memu and see if that is what you are looking for.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:42 AM   #4

I notice that the picture you posted appears somewhat over-exposed, and there is some haze around the bright objects (eg the slide). This may give rise to/ contribute to what you call "lack of sharpness". I believe the following may help with your pictures:

(1) The light meter of the Fuji F30 isprone to over-exposure. This has been discussed in many forums and users have recommended trying:

A. center-weighed metering instead of multi-pattern metering

B. adjusting the exposure compensation to -1/3 or -2/3 EV (you have to experiment with this, and the amount may vary in different lighting situations). If you use the "M" mode instead of the automatic mode (red camera icon on the dial), this exposure compensation value will be remembered by the camera.

(2) General principle of photography - avoid taking picture with the camera pointing directly or obliguelyinto the sun: harsh direct sunlight may give rise to haze and glare.

High humidity may also give rise to haze, but if you notice this indoor or outdoor, dry or humid, it is probably not a factor.

Hope this helps.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:13 AM   #5

It would be easier to troubleshoot if your original EXIF data was attached, it seems to have been deleted when you resized/resampled. Do you still have the original and can you post the EXIF data?

I have attempted to sharpen the photo with software and quite frankly the improvement was minimal. The only area that sharpened was the area at the top of the slide that supports the blue cross bar. Charging the in camera sharpen settings will therefore probably yield little improvement. Since that is where the children are it does indicate that focusing is OK. That also indicates the lens aperture was wide open because of the very shallow DOF.

The troubling part to me is the dark orange line beside the right-hand slide support. It has the appearance of heavy chromatic aberration but may be a problem with the in-camera image processing (anti-noise or sharpening). Either of those causes would contribute to soft images all the time.

Because of the light/diffused shadow I think the picture was taken on an overcast day so it is unlikely that lens flare contributed to the softness.

The image, to my eyes appears much softer than should be expected with that camera.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:59 PM   #6

It was a little out of focus. A minimal amount of deconvolution in Focus Magic sharpened it. What really helped though was a couple of doses of defogging with a high radius and low amount in USM. The shot is really hazy.

Is it possible you brought the camera from an air conditioned house into a warm humid environment? That happens to me all the time here in Florida and if I don't notice it and clean the lens the photos come out hazy like that.

Edit: couldn't do anything for the kid's face though.

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:16 PM   #7

bbsstmez wrote:
Quote:
Hello again,

I have been complaing in another post how I can not get the sharpness with my Fuji FinpixF30 that I have been used to from my Canon. Here is an example, any suggestions? Thanks
I think if every photo you've taken requires as much PP as slipe skillfully used something's amiss with the camera.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote