Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 5, 2007, 5:32 AM   #1

Hello,

I'm UK based and was wondering if there's such a thing as company that rents out lenses say for the week.

I'm going on holiday in October somewhere that is renowned for its wildlife. And of course the cost of a decent 400mm+ lens would probably be more than the cost of the holiday :roll:

I have a Canon 400d and already have a 55-200mm cheapo lens, but was after a bit more 'length'.

Any advice?

Beejygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2007, 9:40 AM   #2

i dont know any but an idea may be to buy one off ebay use it for your hols then sell it back on ebay? u may make a few quid too !!!

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:16 AM   #3

Beejygirl wrote:
Quote:
I'm UK based and was wondering if there's such a thing as company that rents out lenses say for the week.

I'm going on holiday in October somewhere that is renowned for its wildlife. And of course the cost of a decent 400mm+ lens would probably be more than the cost of the holiday :roll:

I have a Canon 400d and already have a 55-200mm cheapo lens, but was after a bit more 'length'.

Any advice?
Many of the larger camera stores (i.e.: brick & mortar storefronts, not on-line stores) that cater to professional photographers, will rent Canon and Nikon lenses (one of the great advantages to owning Canon and Nikon dSLRs). You don't say where you are in the UK, but if you're in or near a big city, you shouldn't have much trouble finding a store that will rent a lens to you.

And there is at least one on-line store I know ofthat rents Canon, Nikon and Sony lenses, but it's in the USA.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:00 PM   #4

Cost of rental is not cheap either.

I checked a local rental place ( Vistek.ca ) and the hire fee for the
Canon EF400/2.8 L II USM Lens is 600$cdn a week and the
Canon EF100-400/4.5-5.6L IS USM Lens is 160$cdn a week.

Much cheaper than buying the lenses, but still much higher than I expected.
You are also expected to arrange for pickup, dropoff and arrange for your own insurance on the item.

http://vistek.ca/rentals/rentalsearc...?q=canon%20400
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 4:31 AM   #5

Calumet stores in the UK rent lenses, they take the rental fee, price depends on what you are renting, also a credit card payment of the total cost of the lens (refunded on its return) and a small charge for insurance, check out there web site

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk

colinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:18 AM   #6

at £15 to £20 a day to rent a lens, plus having to pay for it via credit card, refundable if u dont damage the lens it make more sense to do what i originaly said, buy one of ebay and then re sell when u get home. especialy if u need the lens for 2 weeks holiday.

rental isnt too bad if u only need it for a day.....but to take on holiday for 2 weeks is another matter !!

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote