Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 11, 2007, 9:28 PM   #1

the picture uploader on here says that you cant upload anything bigger than 250 kilobytes, but looking around at the pictures in the forum, I see photos that are definately bigger than that. When I try to upload pictures from my camera (which only has 2 megapixels), it says the picture is too big. Do you guys compress your files before you upload them? Or some other way?
seerskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:31 PM   #2

No, we don't compress. Larger pictures here are actually done via other websites that allow direct links to the photos. For instance, I use smugmug. Pbase is also popular. I know there are other sites that have direct link capability but off the top of my head I can't tell you which photo sharing sites do and which do not.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:01 AM   #3

Check out the thread in General Q&A about how to post your pictures. It has just about all the info you should need. In general it is best to resize to 800 pixels wide or smaller, to avoid having to scroll around a lot.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 7:01 AM   #4
Administrator

seerskater wrote:
Quote:
the picture uploader on here says that you cant upload anything bigger than 250 kilobytes, but looking around at the pictures in the forum, I see photos that are definately bigger than that. When I try to upload pictures from my camera (which only has 2 megapixels), it says the picture is too big. Do you guys compress your files before you upload them? Or some other way?
Downsize it first. Note where Steve says "Even a 2 megapixel camera creates a 1600x1200 pixel image and that is way too big to properly display here"

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=2

Quote:
When you're in the message editor you will see below the text entryarea is a file browse button. Click on that button and then navigateyour hard drive to get to your photo - once selected it will be uploadedand stored on our server. It's important to keep the file size toless than 250Kb and all digital camera pictures should be downsizedto around 640x480 pixels before uploading them. Even a 2-megapixelcamera creates a 1600x1200 pixel image and that is way too big to beproperly displayed here.
Even if you get the size down less to less than 250,000 bytes by compressing an image more (higher JPEG Compression/lower quality) when saving an image, a larger (dimensions in pixels) image doesn't display properly, because users would need to scroll right and left to see the text in posts.

Downsize it using something like the free Irfanview first. You'll see a menu choice for resizing under "Image>Resize/Resample". Then, when you save it (File, Save as), if the file size is still too large, use a bit more jpeg compression with the quality slider you'll find when using the Save As option. Around 85% on the jpeg quality scale with irfanview usually gets it small enough after downsizing. Be careful to use a new filename when you resize and save as. You don't want to overwrite your originals.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote