Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 19, 2007, 12:07 PM   #1

When I had my 5MP Nikon 5700 it came with a 2/3 sensor. I was able to print 13x19 from my Canon S9000 with excellent detail that made a Photo Store's result look amature. My new A710 IS has a 1/2.5 sensor with 7MP. I take it sensor size doesn't matter anymore, only sensor quality does matter...correct?
I ask because looking at the 5700 photos on the computer and comparing them to A710 IS, the A710 looks pretty close detail and color wise.
metalfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2007, 2:13 PM   #2

It's not that sensor size doesn't matter, it's that through technological improvements they're able to do more with less. Using the same technology, a sensor twice the size could produce a 14 MP image with the same level of noise, or a 7 MP image with half the noise and twice the dynamic range.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 3:18 PM   #3

What about running my A710 IS at 5MP? Would doing that reduce the noise in the photo?
Old Aug 19, 2007, 8:02 PM   #4

Not really. When you lower the megapixel setting on a camera it simply takes a full size picture and sizes it down. While this can reduce the visibility of noise, it usually takes some extreme resizing to make a noticeable difference, like taking a 7MP image down to 1.75 MP (half the width and height).

This will usually only work so far. The higher the noise levels get (as exposure time increases or ISO goes up), the more prominent the noise artifacts become. In some cases I've seen them so bad that you could resize the image down to .01 MP and still see the noise.

If you are having problems with noise, the best thing is to just take the photo at the highest quality level and do the noise repair on a computer using a program like Noise Ninja. You might want to experiment with whether it's better to leave the noise reduction on or off on the camera. Leaving it off will usually produce a sharper image in the end.

If you have trouble cleaning up some really noisy images, then sometimes it helps to resize the image down before applying noise reduction, though you'll probably have to size it down to half the width (1 quarter the total resolution) or less in those cases.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 8:47 PM   #5

Thank you for the helpful info Corpsy, much appreciated