Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 18, 2003, 1:27 PM   #1

Default Transfering film to digital

I got a new 35mm Nikon N80 because I wanted an SLR and did not have the money for a digital SLR.
How can I transfer my photos to digital?
I also have a Canon G1 3MP digi-cam, and when I see the pictures in my computer they look great. I love the size of the photos in my 19" monitor.
Will the transfered photos look as good as if they were shot with a digi-cam?
Angelomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2003, 2:57 PM   #2

Almost any 35mm film scanner will match or excede the output of the current digital 5-6mp cameras.
All the high end scanners will greately surpass them, in rez, bit depth and dmax.
eg. the nikon 4000 is 4000dpi, dmax of 4.2and 48bit depth, the output image file is about 130meg scanning at the maximums.

None are exactly cheep and the high end ones will probably exceed the cost of the dslr.

I've heard good things said about the current crop of flatbeds with built in film scanners like the epson 3200. 3200 dpi dmax of 3.4 and 48bit depth. Even this scanner is exceding the output capabilities the the 5-6mp cameras in rez and bit depth, and I guessing in the dmax area as well.

So I guess what I am saying is that you should not have any trouble converting your 35mm stuff to digital. It is just a lot more time and work involved than shooting straight to digital. :P
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 1:09 PM   #3

If you take pictures as slides (instead of prints) realize that you can get dedicated slide scanners, or attachements to flat bed scanners to scan slides. Both (if well made) can make the process go much faster.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2003, 3:42 PM   #4

Nobody mentioned that the scanned results will be as good as the poorest quality part of the whole thing. If the pictures in film as as good as digital pictures then the answer is yes. If the pictures in film are so-so, the scanned results will be so-so as well.

If I were to transfer the pictures I have taken with my P&S 35 mm camera, the results will never get even close to what my 3.1 MP digital camera produces, even if I use the best film scanner available.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2003, 4:17 PM   #5

Default Re: Transfering film to digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelomar
How can I transfer my photos to digital?
Will the transfered photos look as good as if they were shot with a digi-cam?
We seem to be carrying this discussion on in two places at once, and I had a strange sense of deja-vu

See http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...?p=60437#60437 for my reply if you haven't seen it already.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2003, 4:32 PM   #6

Default Re: Transfering film to digital

Quote:
I got a new 35mm Nikon N80 because I wanted an SLR and did not have the money for a digital SLR. How can I transfer my photos to digital?
You have two ways: slide/film duplicator or slide/film scanner. I am not sure if your Canon has a matching slide/film duplicator (or copier). If you have a Nikon 9xx or 4500, you can use Nikon ES-E28 slide copying adapter specially made for Coolpix 9xx and 4500 cameras. This device costs < $100. A very good but not very high resolution film/slide scanner is the Minolta Scan Dual III for about $300. I have multiple scanners; but, when I do not need very high resolution I use the Minolta frequently. There is a very cheap solution, though. Buy a light box/table and simply shoot your slide with the light box/table as the light source. Check the "Close-Up" page of my Coolpix 2500 page for more details. None of these setups can compete against a good scanner because (1) the resolution of the duplication is determined by your camera's resolution which cannot be higher than the highest resolution than that of the camera, (2) proper lighting is always a headache, although people have come up all sorts of lighting tricks, (3) the duplicated results usually have higher contrast, and (4) lens distortion will show on the duplication. So, if you can spend $300, buy a Minolta Scan Dual III. Or, if you have a deeper pocket, try Nikon's Coolscan 4000 or the new Minolta scanner.

Quote:
I also have a Canon G1 3MP digi-cam, and when I see the pictures in my computer they look great. I love the size of the photos in my 19" monitor. Will the transfered photos look as good as if they were shot with a digi-cam?
If the slides are scanned with very high resolution, some grain will be seen. But, on a 19" monitor, the scanned one may still be better than the one from your G3, assuming that you know how to fine tune the scanner and that you shoot the slide and the G3 with the same skill especially when you use saturated slides (e.g., Fuji Velvia 50 and 100F or Kodak E100VS).

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote