Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 21, 2007, 8:37 PM   #1
jq

I am rather new to digital photography and to trying to do things with my photos. I can take them a lot faster than I can learn to do things with them.

If I want to post a photo or two to this forum or to the photo section, what do I do? I have photos on Webshots. Can I use this site to attach a photo here? I have read thru their guidelines and see no way. I can email, download within Webshots. I see attach in new memo form but nothing happens when I click it. I would like to share a few with people on the photo forum. Thanks for the help.
jq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2007, 8:59 PM   #2

Have a read at this post -> How to Post Your Photos.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 9:17 PM   #3
jq

Thanks Sintares, I will read this and try again. I just tried it and got a tiny photo transferred to the msg. How do I enlarge it to viewable size once I get it there? Then when I tried to save it, the msg editor threw it out as not appropriate?
Old Sep 22, 2007, 6:18 AM   #4

If the photo is already available on the web somewhere, you can use the "Insert Image" ([suB][/suB])button to have this website get the image from the other website, or you can use the "Insert Link" ([suB][/suB])button to insert just the URL of the photo into your message. Using this technique, you can include as many images in your post as you want.

If the image does not appear on any website, and only exists on your computer, then things get more complicated. This website has a limit to how large a file it will permit you to use.Images whose file size isover 250400 bytes, or roughly 244.5 kilobytes (KB) will not be uploaded to this website, so the first thing you need to do is determine the file size of your image.

In the Windows Explorer, you can right-click on the file, and, from the context menu,select the "Properties" command. In the "Properties" dialog box, on the "General" tab, will appear the size of the file. The fist number will be in terms of Bytes, Kilobytes (KB), Megabytes (MB), or Gigabytes (GB). The second number, in the parentheses, is always in Bytes.

If this number is larger than 250400, then you can't upload it to this website. So, to post your image here, you need to reduce the file size. There are a couple of ways to do that. First, Steve suggests that images be about 640x480 pixels, though many people have posted images that are much larger. You can reduce the size of an image in a number of ways using programs you probably already have.

If you double-click on the file, it will open up in an image editing (or, at least, and image displaying) application. In Windows, it might open in "Microsoft Office Picture Manager".

In Windows"Microsoft Office Picture Manager", while you are looking at the picture, go to the "File" menu and select "Export". A toolbar will appear on the right side of the image, and will contain all the tools for reducing the size of the image. The simplest to use is the choices under "Export using this size". Here, you can select from a variety of common image sizes, from 1024x768 to 313x235. You can select any of these to reduce the image size, which will reduce the file size as well.An important thing to remember is that you should probably remand the file so that you don't lose the original image while you do this, so, under "Export with this file name", change the file name. When the settings are the way you want, click on the "OK" button. That will store the file containing the reduced image. You should check the size of the new file to make sure that it is less than the 250400 byte limit, and if it isn't, go back and try a smaller size.

If you don't have Microsoft Office Picture Manager , there are several other image editing applications that can resize the image for you.

Once you have your image file less than 2504000 bytes, click on the "Browse..." below the "Post Reply" editing window, browse to the file, select it and click on the "Open" button.

When you click on the "Send" button, your web browser will upload the image file to this website, and it will appear in your post.

Using this technique, you can only include one image in your post.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 6:46 AM   #5
Administrator

jq wrote:
Quote:
I have photos on Webshots. Can I use this site to attach a photo here?
Probably not. Many photo sites don't let you link directly to images from elsewhere.

From what I can gather browsing through their site, they do not allow direct linking of images. See the item in their FAQ about using images outside of their desktop software and website:

http://www.webshots.com/support/help/10302.html#6

But, you can attach a file you have on your local PC to a forum post using the Browse button you'll see when you start a new post.

It's best to downsize it to around 640 to 720 pixels wide for display here. That way, members don't have to scroll left and right to see the entire image and the text in the forum thread it's in.

When I use Windows, I use the free Irfanview for downsizing images.

After you open an image, select "Image>Resize/Resample" and make the width around 640 to 720 pixels wide for posting. Leave the Preserve Aspect Ratio box checked. After you click OK, use the "File>Save As" menu choice and give it a new filename. I'd set the Quality slider you see come up at around 80% to keep the file size within limits.

Then, when you make a post, you can browse for it using the Browse button you'll see here and attach it.

[img]attachment.php?id=56613[/img]

This software will also work in batch mode. That allows you to downsize many photos at the same time using the same settings.

You may also want to look into a service that allows direct linking of images.

I use http://www.pbase.com

For one thing, I really like their templates (a.k.a, style sheets).

They didn't even charge for the service originally. But, it grew and grew and their costs eventually ran more than the donations they were receiving.

So, they switched it to a commercial service and continued to upgrade it (with some growing pains along the way from time to time). But, it's very reasonably priced for what they offer.

Pbase.com gives you a lot of "bang for the buck" (ability to upload multiple images in a single .zip file; customizable album templates; your own forum for each album you create; a guestbook; ability to see small, medium, large or original size images without you needing to create the different sizes; same photos can be in more than one album without taking up more space;compression of images to save space if you want to do that, direct linking to photos, no login required for others to view your photos, etc.).

Here is their pricing page:

http://www.pbase.com/pricing.html

About the only thing it's missing that I wouldn't mind having is the ability for viewers to order prints. But, that's not a real big deal to me (although it could be to others).

There are many more sites like this around, too (and some are even free). We have a Photo Sharing Site Links Forum you may want to browse through with a number of posts on these types of services.

But, you don't have to use a service like that to post an image here. As long as it's not too large (file size and dimensions in pixels), you can use the browse button you see at the bottom of a post entry screen an attach it directly from your PCs hard drive.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 6:17 PM   #6
jq

Thanks Tcav and JimC. Someone on another site that starts with POP described a way to download from Webshots and I got it posted to a forum post. But I can't seem to make it bigger and I sized it at 600. So if anyone can tell me how to resize after I get it in post or to post, I would appreciate it. I have more trouble or waste more time resizing photos or moving from different files to one or renumbering in order to do slide show or set up album on website, its hardly worth doing.

I just took over 2,700 shots from 16 days in Alaska but I have been overwhelmed in dealing with the little details so I and others can enjoy.

Jim, I will read your instr and see what I get. Thanks again.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 6:49 PM   #7
Administrator

If they're 600 pixels wide, you're probably better off leaving them that way for posting, versus trying to resize them further. If you try to increase the size of an image, it typically degrades a little bit. Irfanview can resize one larger if you really want to (but, we don't like anything too big to be posted here anyway).

2700 photos, huh? You can batch resize them using something like Irfanview if you still have the originals on your hard drive and need smaller versions of them.

Here is an old thread on that subject with some screen prints in it:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...jump_to=454453

Old Sep 24, 2007, 9:17 AM   #8
jq

So again, if the photo is put in the msg, how do I get it to fill up screen? I sized it at 600 but it is giving me a very small photo like this. After 5 attempts to copy it, I finally got a bigger one!!! Now can I do it again?

Old Sep 24, 2007, 9:33 AM   #9
Administrator

We prefer it if you do *not* "fill up a screen" (unless you mean just fill up the width of the entry screen in the thread versus an entire screen);-)

Steve prefers images no more than 640 pixels wide here. See this post about it:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=2

The reason is that many members may have monitors set at resolutions like 800x600 or 1024x768.

So, when you go too large, they have to scroll left and right to see it.

That also means that the text in the thread becomes very difficult to read (again, they have to scroll left and right to read it since it will format to the same width as the widest photo in the thread).

Another reason is that we still have dialup users. So, larger images take longer to load. Yet another reason is storage space on the servers (which is one reason we limit the maximum file size of an image you can attach to a post).

You can exceed this file size if you embed an image that's on a web site somewhere (versus attaching it using the Browse button). But, we still prefer it you keep the file and resolution size down to prevent long load times and text readability problems in threads.

If you want to make it around 720 pixels wide, that's fine with me. That's about right without forcing many members to scroll left and right.

But, I wouldn't go much wider than that (even 800 pixels wide is a bit too large on some monitors).

You can use Irfanview to resize an image either larger or smaller (as in my instructions above). But, if you go larger than the original, some degradation will occur). It's best to start out with the full resolution image (not that 600 pixel wide image from the web site you uploaded to). Then, downsize as desired for posting here.

We have members that do post larger images. But, we really prefer it if you do not. I just removed someone's images a few days ago because they embedded full size images in a thread and it made the thread too hard to read (and I probably miss most threads like that).

I'd suggest no larger than about 720 pixels wide. You can use Irfanview to resize it larger (with some degradation in image quality when you do that, but with that small of a change from 600 to 720 pixels wide, it probably wouldn't hurt it much).

Old Sep 24, 2007, 9:47 AM   #10
Administrator

I see what you did. You embedded it with a link to the web site it's on, versus attaching it.

If you need it larger, you'd have to download it to your PC from that site (right click on it and select "save as"). Then, use something like Irfanview to resize it and attach it to a post using the Browse button you'll see when you are entering a new post.

Do you not have the full size original images on your hard drive somewhere? Using the originals and then downsizing to around 720 pixelss wide for posting using something like Irfanview is your best bet if 600 pixels wide is not acceptable.