Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 26, 2003, 4:20 AM   #11

every camera is going to have a negative that a different camera hasn't. you just have to decide what negatives are going to be acceptable. eg are you going to be using the flash? if not you can get a camera with not 100% flash covarage.

I have a canon and have to say am very pleased with it.
Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2003, 6:49 AM   #12

Ask yourself .. how often do you use flash ...... maybe 10% of the time???? You will get used ot the grip.

The battery life .. i agree ... the one turn off.

In the end, it offers equal if not better picture quality than any of the competitors in what is a CONSIDERABLY smaller size than the rest. The result ... you will take the camera out more often and therefore take more shots.

To top oit off there are the night scene features and the like thta set this camera apart. If it had a 5X zoom i'd buy it tomorow.

You hold a G5 then the V1 and there is ahuge difference.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2003, 8:39 AM   #13

Default Re: Olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster
I do agree to some extent on the memory stick thing being a turnoff. Just about anything else would be fine, and the 5050 has nice flexibility there (can you have more than one card in at once?).
Yes, providing they are different types. There are two slots for memory. One holds CF and Micro drive and the other holds XD and Smart Media. You can even write from one card to the other.

Quote:
I am looking at a review now for a C5050Z. Is the Z of any significance?
The review complains of higher noise and purple fringing than other models, too.
The "Z" stands for Zoom. Some of the reviews do mention noise at lower ISO (I haven't experienced it) and purple fringing in certain circumstances. Personally, I think this is overblown. I've never experienced the noise and have only seen the purple fringing on a hanfull of photos. However, you'll see this with the Canon and Sony as well.
MarkY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2003, 12:27 AM   #14

Default Olympus

I cannot seem to find the Olympus C5050 locally. I really am not too interested in purchasing a camera without picking it up. The G5 and the Sony are both readily available. But, Best Buy, Circuit City, Wolf Camera and Ritz Camera all let me down. Don't know what else to try.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2003, 1:44 AM   #15

Nathan, where are you located? Is there a Fry's Electronics or CompUSA near you? How about a Good Guys?
MarkY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 4:01 PM   #16

Default No Fry's

I am in Northwest Indiana, very near Chicago. Technically, I could get to a CompUSA, but it would be a trek. No Fry's out here. I don't think that we have Good Guys. Anyhow, I think that I am going to go with the G5 anyhow. Thanks for all of the input.

Nathan
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 9:43 AM   #17

Default The G3 is selling for a great price

I just picked up a G3 for $450 at Circuit City (they are making room for the G5). Like you, I like the feel of the camera in my hands, not to mention the swivel LCD. The fast f2.0 lens should do fairly well (for a digicam) in low light too.

At first I freaked out at the view of the lens barrel in the viewfinder, but it is at wide angle only and I have gotten used to it. Frankly I don't notice it too much anymore. Besides, the LCD in any camera is more accurate than the VF, so you can always use it to confirm the field in your shot composition.

I haven't completely decided to keep it yet. I have viewed a couple outdoor photos where there was alot of grass that had direct sun on it. Greens looked a little flourescent, though it may be my monitor. I haven't had time to shoot under similar conditions and print for comparison.

If you like the way a camera handles, the controls and menues are intuitive for you, it has the zoom range you think you will need, check out sample photos from each camera and see how well it performs in relation to the other cameras. It is a little tough to judge actual quality from web postings, but it might help you form an opinion of a camera's characteristics. For starters, try http://www.pbase.com/cameras

Another choice might be the Nikon 5400. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp5400/
It has the swivel LCD screen and nice lens that starts at 28mm. Good wide angle for capturing those beautiful Hawaii landscapes (most cameras you're looking at will accept converter wide angle or telephoto lenses)
RobS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 6:05 PM   #18

HI

The question "what will you use it for" is the key. Besides this website, here is another good place to start:

www.imaging-resource.com

good luck
bsheri is offline   Reply With Quote