Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 25, 2007, 3:58 PM   #1

Hello all,

I've been banging my head against this for a few days now. When I shoot RAW with my K100D Super and then convert that RAW using PPL Auto settings I am seeing some strange things. I set up a tripod and some meager lighting, put the camera on manual focus, no flash, etc and took two shots using the self timer. One shot RAW the other shot *** JPG. I popped the SD out and looked at the pics using the Pentax Photo Browser. In that browser both images appear quite similar. The RAW has a bit more detail in shaded areas, but looks a bit grainy. Fine, it needs to be processed. So I run it through PPL and what came out was something different from both the RAW and the *** JPG.The PPLJPGseemed to be even more grainy/noisy looking in areas of solid redcolors, the shadows retained higher levels of detail but the overall image is a bit darker and the color is shifted a tad.

I used manual white balance, both images set to "bright" and didn't touch a thing in between, the images were snapped within seconds of each other. So it puzzled me to see that much of a difference.

Perhaps I am wrong in thinking the PPL Auto settings will give me a similar image to the internaly proccessed JPG? I thought that the RAW info stored the camera settings and sensor data at the time the image was taken, then PPL Auto would apply those settings to the image data as you convert the image to a JPG. Isn't that how RAW works?

So that leads me to think that the internal processing is doing a little something extra to compensate for whatever it can. Does anyone know what settings in PPL would match what the internal processing is doing? I'd at least like to know I can get that image + have the ability to tweak.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Below are 2 samples, 1 is the RAW PPL JPG the other is the *** JPG.

Thanks,

Chris

RAW PPL JPG
Attached Images

achillies775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2007, 4:00 PM   #2

the *** JPG
Attached Images

achillies775 is offline   Reply With Quote