Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 2, 2007, 6:29 PM   #1

I've recently bought a Canon PowerShot S3 IS (just before the S5 came out, doesn't that always seem to be the way?) and I've naturally being using the flash a little in low light (or when the camera tells me I need it).

Given that the in-built flash looks a little light weight I realize it's not going to have the power of a "really chunky flash" and illuminate things that are miles away. There times, however,when I take pictures "close up" that seesthe flash sort of swamps the target, changing how it looks for the worst. Is there anything I can do to stop this, without investing in swanky new kit?
JimBowen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2007, 5:19 PM   #2

This is one of the limitations of direct flash, but you can get better results with a diffuser. This can be a simple as a piece of translucent plastic which you can make yourself. There are accessory diffusers available for most cameras with pop-up flashes.

Ultimately, you will probably want an external flash with a tilt head to be able to use bounce flash, or even a remote, wireless flash if your creativity takes you in that direction. Check the flash forum for recommendations, and advice on which units can be used with your camera.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 9:17 PM   #3

Just to state the obvious: get a flash with a whole bunch of power if you are going to bounce/diffuse. Bouncing/diffusing throws away a whole bunch of light so you need a whole bunch more than you might think.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:14 PM   #4

JimBowen1 wrote:
Quote:
I take pictures "close up" that seesthe flash sort of swamps the target... . Is there anything I can do to stop this?
Translucent plastic, as suggested will reduce flash output a bit. For heavier reduction try white tissue paper, increasing the layers until you get enough reduction or use ordinary white paper. On a pop-up flash such as the S3 make a loop of whatever material I'm using and loosely tape it to the flash. Experiment.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:22 PM   #5
Administrator

See if a film container will fit over the camera's built in flash (i.e., the translucent type that Fuji is using for some of their 35mm film now). I know that they use a translucent type container with their Fuji Superia X-TRA ISO 800 and 1600 now (I've bought quite a bit of this film over the past year or so). But, I'm not sure if they're using this type of container for their lower speed films. Your local camera store probably has it in stock if you want to give it a try as a cheap way to get some flash diffusion (and have a roll of film to use, too). lol

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 3:12 PM   #6

I've used a 3 or 4 oz translucent plastic drinking cup as a quick diffuser on my Z612.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:05 PM   #7

Check out your manual, I don't know with Canon, but with My Olympus C-760UZ you can reduce flash intensity in the menus'

Max
Ausimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 2:12 PM   #8

Jim,

I have an S2 IS, so it should be similar to yours.

If you go to the last pages of the User Guide, "Functions Available in Each Shooting Mode", and go down the first column to "Flash Adjust", it should give you the page number which explains how to adjust the "flash compensation" and "flash output".

I think this is the information you are looking for. (If I understand your original question)
JockScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 11:15 PM   #9

Thanks y'all
JimBowen1 is offline   Reply With Quote