Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 11, 2007, 6:25 PM   #11

I bought this unit on amazon in the USA last year

http://www.amazon.com/HELIOS-H4000-U...4826368&sr=8-2

In addition to playing avi/divx files, it also upscales DVD's to HD resolutions for those of you with an HDTV. And yes, it does work great.

So, not a legal issue at all. But I think if you search specifically for DVD players that can handle avi you will find quite a few, just probably not from Sony, Pioneer or the other big brand names.

In Bangkok, I was pointed away from a Sony DVD player I was interested in because of the playback restrictions built into it.

Something else to take a look at is this...

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro.../tvixM4000.asp

or here for the complete lineup...

http://www.tvix.co.kr/eng/

A hard disk media player capable of playing SD and HD content. GREAT for those that have any flavor of HD camcorder. No need to wait for HD-DVD burners.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:08 PM   #12

anfield wrote:
Quote:
Are there any software which can be burn to VCD or DVD and can be watch with a DVD VCD player and also add in ? Please recommend photo editing software powerful but not complicated and confusing like adobe. Thank you.
Resolution & quality haven't been mentioned in this thread yet, unless I've missed it. I know only about my own attempts to display good jpg digicam images from CD & DVD via a DVD player to an ordinary TV. It may be that the OP doesn't know how bad the results might be due to the limitations of standard TV resolution. I don't know about HDTV.

The apparent quality of photographic jpg pictures displayed on an ordinary TV, even a good quality one, is disappointingly poor compared with that on a computer monitor. All the crisp fine detail of the images even from very cheap digicams will be lost. It'll do for giving groups of family & friends a roughimpression of your holiday snaps, but not for showing off how good a photographer you are.

This may simply be a matter of display resolution. Will an HDTV with much higher resolution than current ordinary broadcast standards demonstrate that better resolution when displaying jpg images from a standard CD or DVD in a standard DVD player, or is a special player needed, please?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 8:15 AM   #13

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
This may simply be a matter of display resolution. Will an HDTV with much higher resolution than current ordinary broadcast standards demonstrate that better resolution when displaying jpg images from a standard CD or DVD in a standard DVD player, or is a special player needed, please?
When I make a DVD for sisplaying a JPEG slideshow, I put the original images in a folder called "Full-Size" and reduced images in the root directory. Full size images will REALLY slow down a slideshow, as BillDrew pointed out, so having the reduced images in the root directory will present the user with the images that are appropriate for viewing on TV first.

Images to be displayed on DTV and HDTV should only have a vertical resolution of 720 if it will be displayed on a widescreen, and 640 if not, to avoid havingthe DVD Player resize them for you. The resulting images will, of course, not compare favorably to the originals, but they should give the best images on a DTV or HDTV.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 9:27 AM   #14

Thanks, TCav, that's what I thought. I feared that I'd missed something, and could really have been giving family slideshows on the TV, and not squashed into the computer (box) room or my son's tiny bedroom.

The quality will be pretty awful, unless you're a long way away. In fact, back to the days before digital cameras were invented, and we looked at VGA-standard images from scanned prints. And even HDTV is not for the photographer, except for carefully chosen images, I fear.

Hi-ho, thanks again,
Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 8:31 PM   #15

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
I bought this unit on amazon in the USA last year

http://www.amazon.com/HELIOS-H4000-U...368&sr=8-2

In addition to playing avi/divx files, it also upscales DVD's to HD resolutions for those of you with an HDTV. And yes, it does work great.
This is not really evident from the technical information on the page, so perhaps some of the other units I have looked at will also play .avi and other video files directly. Of course, I'm not going to try themalljust to find out.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 4:28 PM   #16

Well on amazon probably not (duh), but try their web site ...

http://helios-labs.com/us/products/h...ex_hline.shtml

Look down the page on the table under video formats...

Althought it does not say avi, it does say divx and xvid which ARE avi file formats.

I purchased the H4000 for the upscaling capabilities and discovered the avi file playback when I recieved the unit. Turned out to be a real plus.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote