Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 5, 2007, 9:21 PM   #1

Are there any software which can be burn to VCD or DVD and can be watch with a DVD VCD player and also add in ? Please recommend photo editing software powerful but not complicated and confusing like adobe. Thank you.
anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:54 PM   #2

My understanding of the way DVD and VCD work, is that the disc must be finalized in order to play in a standard player (one that isn't on your computer). In order to add on to the video, you would have to create a new disc, so I don't believe there is anything to do what you are asking.

Paint Shop Pro, Photoimpact, and Photoshop Elements are all very capable editors, and considerably less complicated than Photoshop (CS). I have been using Photoimpact for several years, since version 4. I find it quite versatile, and probably haven't really scratched the surface of it's capabilities, as I use it mostly for simple retouching, resizing, etc. Have done some graphics from scratch, and some heavy duty photo restoration, but not touched the web graphics capabilities. PSE and PSP also have similar capabilities, though the PSE 3 I have seems much more limited than PI.

Check the Software forum further down for more discussions on the subject.

brian

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 7:57 AM   #3

anfield wrote:
Quote:
Are there any software which can be burn to VCD or DVD and can be watch with a DVD VCD player and also add in ?
anfield wrote:

Quote:
Please recommend photo editing software powerful but not complicated and confusing like adobe.
Are you looking for software that can create VCDs and DVDs that can be played on DVD/VCD PlayersAND can edit photos and is simple to use, or are you looking for two separate pieces of software?

anfield wrote:
Quote:
Are there any software which can be burn to VCD or DVD and can be watch with a DVD VCD player and also add in ?
If you're looking for software that can create VCDs and DVDs that can be played on DVD/VCD Players, you probably already have one. Microsoft Windows comes with Movie Maker, and Apple MacOSX comes with iMovie, both of which will do what you want.

anfield wrote:
Quote:
Please recommend photo editing software powerful but not complicated and confusing like adobe.
If you want to do simple photo editing (cropping, reducing, lightening/darkening), you probably already have software that can do that too. Microsoft Office comes with Microsoft Office Picture Manager, and Apple MacOSX comes with iPhoto, both of which will do what you want.

If you want something that is more capable, remember that, with power comes complexity; the more you want the software to be able to do, the more complicated the user interface is going tobe. Adobe Photoshop Elements is a simplified version of Photoshop and may suit your needs, but there are many others. Many people here like and use Ulead PhotoImpact, JASC PaintShop Pro and IrfanView.Photoshop Elements, PhotoImpactand PaintShop Prohave free trial versions available for download, andIrfanView is a free download.

But if you're looking for software that can do both, I think you misunderstand what's going on.

All DVD Players play movies stored on DVDs. Some DVD Players can also play VCDs. Computers can store data files on DVDs and CDs, but those data files are not movies that DVD Players can play. Software like Movie Maker and iMovie take video and store it on DVDs so DVD Players can play them, but just dragging a data file onto a DVD or CD doesn't mean that a DVD Player can play it. You need to make it a movie. So you can store your photos on a DVD or CD, but a DVD Player isn't going to play them, because their not movies. You can make a movie that shows your photographs, and a DVD Player can play that. And you can do it with either Movie Maker and iMovie, but they are not photo editing software. For that, you'll need something like Photoshop Elements, PhotoImpact, PaintShop Pro or IrfanView to edit your photos before you make movies out of them.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:56 AM   #4

Here in the Uk many new cheap standalone dvd players and indeed many dvd players from even 5 years ago are able to play and show avi, mpg and jpeg files, without those files needing to be converted into "dvd format movies"

Its very common to find these capabilities, my dvd player that cost all of £35 (~$70) from a high street catalogue shop (argos) can play avi files even those encoded as xvid and divx, mpegs, vobs, and display jpegs.

The disks don't even need to be finalised, just burn as a data file with Nero and thats it... excellent for movie clipsetc downloaded from thenet.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:48 PM   #5

Sintares wrote:
Quote:
The disks don't even need to be finalised, just burn as a data file with Nero and thats it... excellent for movie clipsetc downloaded from thenet.
Yes, that's what Nero does. It converts the MPEG, AVI, WMV, etc. files to movies that DVD Players can play. Nero( http://www.nero.com/enu/index.html)is only one of the many availableprograms for doing that. There are many others. See http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=421355

In fact, Nero 8 Ultra, Nero PhotoShow Delux 5,and otherscan create slideshows of still photos on a DVD that can be played on a DVD Player, but none of themarevery good photo editors.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 8:37 AM   #6

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Sintares wrote:
Quote:
Yes, that's what Nero does. It converts the MPEG, AVI, WMV, etc. files to movies that DVD Players can play. In fact, Nero 8 Ultra or Nero PhotoShow Delux 5 can create slideshows on a DVD that can be played on a DVD Player, but they aren't very good photo editors.
As Sintares noted, no conversion needs to be done for many/most DVD players to read them and put them out as a simple slide show. I am sure Nero can do the conversion, but it is not needed.

It is worthwhile to rotate images as needed and to downsize them to something like 800pixels high. If they are large, very slightly compressed images the DVD player will take an anoyingly long time to read them and downsize for your TV.

MicroSoft's Movie Maker can be used to create slide shows with music and transitions.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 9:27 AM   #7

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
Sintares wrote:
Quote:
Yes, that's what Nero does. It converts the MPEG, AVI, WMV, etc. files to movies that DVD Players can play. ...
As Sintares noted, no conversion needs to be done for many/most DVD players to read them and put them out as a simple slide show. I am sure Nero can do the conversion, but it is not needed.
What I was referring to was the conversion that is necessary for movie clips in computer data files to be played on a DVD Player. You can copy .mpg, .avi, and .wmv files to a DVD or CD, but your DVD Player isn't going to play them, because it doesn't know what to do with those file formats. Yes,some (maybe even many)DVD players can display a slideshow of .jpg files in a DVD, and maybe even on a CD, but it won't play a .mpg, .avi or .wmv file. Nero and other programs can convert computer video clips into movies and store them onto a DVD that DVD Players can play, and that's the conversion I was talking about.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 10:42 PM   #8

TCav wrote:
Quote:
What I was referring to was the conversion that is necessary for movie clips in computer data files to be played on a DVD Player. You can copy .mpg, .avi, and .wmv files to a DVD or CD, but your DVD Player isn't going to play them, because it doesn't know what to do with those file formats. Yes,*some (maybe even many)*DVD players can display a slideshow of .jpg files in a DVD, and maybe even on a CD, but it won't play a .mpg, .avi or .wmv file. Nero and other programs can convert computer video clips into movies and store them onto a DVD that DVD Players can play, and that's the conversion I was talking about.
TCav, a lot of today's DVD players can play avi (and some other formats too) WITHOUT any conversion.

I can fit 12 one hour TV shows (~350MB each) onto a single DVD in avi format and watch to my hearts content with my DVD player.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 6:16 AM   #9

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
TCav, a lot of today's DVD players can play avi (and some other formats too) WITHOUT any conversion.

I can fit 12 one hour TV shows (~350MB each) onto a single DVD in avi format and watch to my hearts content with my DVD player.
I was not aware that some DVD Players could play .avi files without conversion. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 1:57 PM   #10

TCav wrote:
Quote:
amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:

I was not aware that some DVD Players could play .avi files without conversion. Thanks for pointing that out.
This does not appear to be the case for units sold in the US. There are many which will play JPEG slide shows, as well as Mp3, and CD audio, but I haven't run across any which will do other video formats. This is most likely due to legal, rather than technical issues. The HD DVD format uses Mpeg4 compression, but for US use, the video is packaged inside the HD DVD format.

Of course, this doesn't apply to DVD player/recorders on a computer.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote