Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 12, 2007, 8:10 AM   #1

I posted a previous post illiciting suggestions on which camera to purchase, and all the great input helped me decide on the Canon S5, which although I have only messed with a total of about 5 minutes, I really enjoy.

The question now goes to software.

My heart and past experience tells me that Photoshop Elements is the way to go (and probably going with the double pack including Premiere) but the price tag is rather steep. Is this a decent price for this type of software? Is there another (better?) title to look at?

I like Elements' catalog and their editing features (which is probably its highlight). I am not a graphic designer by any means but I have dabbled with it and used Photoshop some in the past so I'm familiar with it. I don't really have an issue using some of the more advanced tools if necessary, but perhaps the biggest question is whether it would be necsssary.

So any input would be greatly appreciated. Although I'm not fond of the big sticker price on Photoshop/Premiere Elements if it is clearly the top choice for what I need, I'm willing to go that route.

Thanks!
k0rdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2007, 2:07 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Elements is obviously a good choice, but there is a fairly decent free (open source) alternative.

http://www.gimp.org/

Easy to use and install on Windows and Linux, and possible (though more complicated) on Mac.

As it's free you have nothing to lose by giving it a try.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:22 AM   #3

Presuming you're using Windows, Adobe Photoshop Elements, JASC Paint Shop Pro, and Ulead Photoimpact are all good photo editing applications in about th esame price range, and they offer free trial versions for download too.

Irfanview and GIMP are freeware image editing applications that are very popular.

The capabilities are mostly similar for basic editing tasks. The primary difference is the user interface.

And the very nice thing is that you can try them all before you decide which one you'll keep.

For product-specific questions, you should try Editors (Photoshop, etc.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 1:02 PM   #4

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Presuming you're using Windows, Adobe Photoshop Elements, JASC Paint Shop Pro, and Ulead Photoimpact are all good photo editing applications in about th esame price range, and they offer free trial versions for download too.

Irfanview and GIMP are freeware image editing applications that are very popular.

The capabilities are mostly similar for basic editing tasks. The primary difference is the user interface.

And the very nice thing is that you can try them all before you decide which one you'll keep.

For product-specific questions, you should try Editors (Photoshop, etc.)
I don't know how I missed that forum.

Thanks for the heads up.
k0rdell is offline   Reply With Quote