Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 26, 2007, 2:10 PM   #1
csd

I am new to the Digital SLR world - recently got a Nikon D80.
Anyway - I am looking at buying a couple of filters (67mm: Circular Polarizer, Gradient Neutral Density) and am trying to figure out if it really pays to pay. I assume the extreme cheap end could cause a drop in quality of my shots - but do I need to buy Nikon at top price or are some of the mid-tier priced filters good? There are many choices and I can't find a place that reviews these (probably because there are so many). THere is quite a range in pricing.
Any sites that offer reviews?
Any advice on understanding all the different brands online (looking at all the purchase sites recommended in other posts such and B&H, Abes or Maine, buydig as well as the obvious places such as ritz, etc.).
Thanks in advance for any help.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2007, 7:08 PM   #2

I would say that filters fromHoya and Tiffen are on par with those from Nikon and other camera makers.

For Protection, UV and Haze filters, it probably doesn't matter who makes them, but for Neutral Density, Polarizing and the like, I'd stay away from the cheaper ones.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 12:48 AM   #3

csd, this addresses a few of your concerns, but it's mostly a good general read about filters: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filters.htm

Lots of detailed stuff here, but not much about price vs. performance:
http://photofilter.com/infomap.htm

Here's something from Gary Black Photo Workshops:

Which brand of filters should you purchase? This is sort of like getting into a discussion on who make the best optics or cameras; there will always be controversy over who makes the best. The top five brands of filters are (not in order) B+W, Heliopan, Nikon, Tiffen and Singh-Ray. This is based on their construction - brass vs. aluminum mounts - optical quality of the glass - multicoating. These are the filters that the technical purists would recommend, Cokin isn't even considered since most of their filters are made from plastic. But from the results that I have obtained from using them, as well as seeing the results from other photographers, I think that some of them (#173 Y/B Pola, and the graduated filters) should be seriously considered when purchasing your filters. One word of caution, since most of the Cokin filters are made of plastic they scratch very easily!

Hope you find something useful out of all this!

Grant

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:22 AM   #4
csd

granthagen - YES - very useful links. THANKS MUCH! There is so much junk on web searches these days it is getting harder and harder to find useful info.]
TCav - thanks for your input as well - will be asking Santa for some Hoya or Tiffen filters :-)

Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:22 AM   #5
csd