Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 10, 2007, 2:46 PM   #1

I've been using the Canon A570IS for a few months now, and need some help in picture taking... I find a lot of noise in the pics when using anything other then AUTO.. what can I do about this? Is it the ISO setting, what is the max I should be using.. or is it some other setting?
pbosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2007, 3:23 PM   #2
Administrator

That really doesn't tell us much (anything other than Auto). ;-)

What ISO speeds are you trying to use?

With your camera model, I'd try to stick with ISO 200 or lower whenever possible. But, ISO 400 looks like it would be usable in a pinch. I'd probably avoid anything higher, unless you plan on keeping print/viewing sizes very small.

Quality is very subjective, and you will have more noise as you increase ISO speed. But, it will be less noticeable at smaller print and viewing sizes.

It's a matter of balance. You may need higher ISO speeds in less than optimum lighting to preven motion blur from subject movement. Sometimes it's better to have more noise versus a blurry photo. ;-)

So, you have to weigh the downside of more noise, versus motion blur if you don't increase ISO speed. In some conditions, you may not be able to get usable photos without a flash. Every camera has limitations.

Other factors can also impact noise. For example, noise tends to be worse in underexposed areas. So, if you're trying to shoot in manual modes, it could be your fault (underexposing the images). Also, if you try to brighten an underexposed image later, noise will be higher, just as if you used a higher ISO speed to begin with. So, proper exposure is critical to higher quality photos.

You may want to post a downsized example if you can't figure out what is wrong.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 4:12 PM   #3

thanks for the info. makes sense.. i'll try and stick to under 200ISO in the other modes and see how that looks. but ya i understand the shooting conditions will always vary..

got this info too from another review site, which makes sense:

"In case you're wondering, any ISO setting over 200 is considered high. For the record too, the vast majority of photos taken in normal or usable lighting conditions in which colors are easily distinguished, happen at or below ISO 200. High ISO settings in digital cameras are more a function of, "It's easy to program this so why not offer it as a feature!" than any real need expressed by the vast majority of photographers. If you're shooting in light so low that the camera is bumping up the ISO setting to 600 or 800, pop up the flash. If the subject matter is too far away for the flash to be of use, it's probably time to call it a day and find some place to eat dinner. The fact that digital cameras make it possible to take photos in very low light, doesn't mean that you should actually waste time doing it. "
Old Dec 10, 2007, 4:22 PM   #4
Administrator

Again, it's a matter of balance. Sometimes, more noise is better than a blurry photo because shutter speeds are too slow. Higher ISO speeds allow the camera to use a faster shutter speed for any given lighting and aperture. You'll need to decide what's acceptable and what is not.

So, I'd take lots of photos using different settings until you get a better idea of the pros and cons of using higher ISO speeds in various lighting for the print/viewing sizes needed.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 4:47 PM   #5

cool will do, thanks again