Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 6, 2003, 4:48 AM   #1
UKJ

Default Help uploading images

Recently purchased the Olympus Mju 400, which is a 4MP camera. However, when pictures are uploaded onto my computer, the pictures appear slightly blurry. I used to own a 1.3MP camera and the pictures come out great when i upload them. This seems a little strange to me.
Using Camedia Master 4.1, which came with the camera
When I print, they come out well; this is baffling!!!

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!
UKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2003, 4:54 AM   #2
UKJ

The camera is also known as the Olympus Stylus Digital 400
Old Sep 6, 2003, 6:58 AM   #3

Your new camera takes pictures at circa 2000 pixels by 2000 pixels. It is unlikely that your monitor can display this many pixels. This means the pictures straight out of the camera are too big to fit on screen (which perhaps wasn't true of your old camera). This means you can only display a fraction of your picture on screen, and viewed this "close up" you can expect them to look rather blurred. Alternatively to view the whole picture, you'll need to scale them down to suitable dimensions for viewing on your monitor (or posting to web for others to do so); perhaps to a maximum of 800 by 600 pixels. Some software will do this scaling down better than others. Good free software for doing this is available at :

http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/

This software also allows you to incorporate extra sharpening as you scale down which might further improve the results you get.
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2003, 7:14 AM   #4

Default Re: Help uploading images

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKJ
Recently purchased the Olympus Mju 400, which is a 4MP camera.
By all accounts this is an excellent camera and also world leader as a fashion accessory. As your prints are fine there is no need to worry.

Get another viewer, and see which one suits you best. I like Irfanview (www.irfanview.com) because it's free and wonderful, and also xnview (www.xnview.com), also freeware.

Another factor to consider is that many digital cameras in their default modes (and sometimes all the time) apply digital sharpening to their images, helping to produce stunning results when printed at approx. 6x4 inches. The sharpness is a highly desirable optical illusion, but it needs to be done appropriately for the size at which the image is viewed. Maybe you can turn it on or off somewhere on the camera to suit your taste, but if you intend doing big prints it's better to turn it off and add it later using an image editor like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2003, 9:08 AM   #5

In my first post I meant to mention that the lesser quality scaling algorithms are useful because they tend to be the quickest and hence get used in picture browsers when instant rescaling to screen size of resonable quality is the objective. I think Alan is suggesting you might try a new picture browser in case perhaps the one you've been using is doing an exceptionally "quick and dirty" resize when presenting your images to you on screen.

As Alan says, if your prints are coming out well then that's good news because in printing above 6x4 you are almost certainly having to scale up the picture the camera produces rather than down. That's a sterner test of your camera and an A4 or 10x8 print should certainly convince you that your camera upgrade was a worthwhile one.

If you want to display your pictures on screen with the best quality you can, you should look to do a quality resize to fit the largest resolution your CRT monitor has (or perhaps native if it is a TFT) and then use your picture browser/viewer to display it without that adding any scaling of its own.

Might well be worth going with Alan's suggestion of trying Irfanview. If you want to upload pictures to the web I'd recommend Easy Thumbnails as a nice clean and simple interface for producing your rescaled pictures. But if you'd like one package for browsing, slideshows, rescaling and some picture editing then Irfanview must be worth getting to know.
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2003, 4:27 AM   #6
UKJ

Many thanks to all who have contributed. I am still yet to print out at A4 but I shall be getting to kjnow the program recommended. Once again, many thanks; i'll let you know how i get on!!!!