Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 21, 2007, 6:19 PM   #1

Just got my Panasonic DMC LZ7 last night and the batteries that came with it is an Oxyride batteries and I only took about 20 pictures since (deleted most of them...only 6 remains) and now I have a flashing red battery icon stating that I need to change my batteries. I thought it was supposed to last a bit, even for the first time using it? Is this normal for first time use?

(At least I've bought some lithium batteries to replace them if I don't have a recharger at hand.)

lmbee59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2007, 7:49 PM   #2

Don't try to recharge your Oxyrides - they're disposible batteries!!!

Read the label: CAUTION: may explode or leak if recharged.

According to Panasonic, they should be good for up to 250 exposures. Guess not, huh?

Get some good NiMH's and a good charger...but not for the Oxyrides.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 2:16 AM   #3

heh...so they say in the manual that they last longer than any other batteries. ha!

I'll just go ahead and insert the lithium ones and take 'em out when I'm not using the camera.

oh~ what kind of charger would be good for lithium or NiMH batteries? And what's the best place to find one?

lmbee59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:34 PM   #4

Lithium AA batteries are not rechargeable, so no charger is good for lithium and NiMH batteries.

Steve has a section on rechargeable batteries, here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

We also have a battery forum here, which you should check out.

This is a pretty good online merchant for batteries and chargers:

http://thomasdistributing.com/

If your camera usage will be occasional, and the camera may sit for days or weeks at a time, I would recommend Sanyo Eneloops, because they have a very low self-discharge rate, and will still be usable months betweeen charges. If your camera usage will be intense, taking hundreds and even thousands of pics in a short period of time, the Maha and Sanyo 2700 mAh batteries have been well received.

Maha and La Crosse probably make the best chargers. I would recommend getting a charger that has independant charging circuits and has a battery reconditioning feature.

NiMH batteries can save you a ton of money over buying alkaline and lithium disposable batteries. They will also enhance your photographic capabilities by providing more pictures and longer video sessions than the other types. Don't try to save money on the NiMH's and charger by buying cheap crap, because you'll be buying more shortly thereafter, and maybe even a new camera.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote