Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 7, 2003, 12:55 AM   #1

Default Mass photo resize?

The wife is threatening to throw my digital cameras(Kodak DC4800 & Sony DSC-P10) in the trash because I never print anything out! I work 70 - 80 hours a week and don't have time to resize hundreds of photos down from 30 x 27 to 4 x 6 individually. I've been using Photoshop Elements 1.0. Is there a way for me to download and resize the whole bunch at once? I need a class on this stuff! Thanks, Hutch
Hutch001b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2003, 3:05 AM   #2

Default Re: Mass photo resize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch001b
I need a class on this stuff! Thanks, Hutch
An image file doesn't really have a size. It *seems* to have one because buried in the file is a "dots per inch" value, which is arbitrary, and depends on the software that wrote it (in your case the camera software).

Forget the alleged "size". What your picture has is a certain number of PIXELS, and you can print it at any size you like. If you're desperate, insert your picture in a dummy Word document using "Insert Picture...", and resize it & print it, preferably using best quality on your printer and a good paper. It'll look fine.

Better is to use an image editor like Paint Shop Pro or PhotoShop (but don't pay too much). PSP8 has a good "Print Preview" so you can see what you're about to get.
Good Luck
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 3:14 AM   #3

Default Batch file convert

Hi! If you do want to resample or alter images in a batch, IrfanView is one of the best. Its freeware. I've been using it for years now. Its really good. It can be downloaded from http://www.irfanview.com

Leon
leonlobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2003, 4:41 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I've just downloaded IrfanView but haven't had time to try it out yet. looks like it'll do what I need though. Thanks, Hutch
Hutch001b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2003, 10:55 PM   #5

Good question. I'd like to be able to do something of the same. Not so much for printing, but for gallery purposes and such, and just plain being able to see the whole picture(especially when I come home from vacation with 500 huge images!). I have Irfanview, but didn't know it could do that! I'll have to try it out. Thanks.

maki
maki is offline   Reply With Quote