Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 26, 2007, 1:17 PM   #1

I could really use some help in understanding the problems associated with using my Minolta SLR AF lenses on my new DSLR Sony A100.

I've been told all kinds of stuff, mostly by people trying to sell me new lenses. (I can't blame a guy for trying!!). But I am unable to distinguish between real drawbacks vs. irrelevant drawbacks.

Last, please keep your answers aimed at the lowest end of the spectrum. My knowledge of cameraology is not much higher than the knowledge base of a Point and Shoot owner!

Thanks!

FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2007, 1:30 PM   #2
Administrator

All Minolta Autofocus Lenses will work just fine on a Sony DSLR-A100 (and they'd all be stabilized, thanks to the in body stabilization system).

They will appear to be longer on a DSLR. That's because most entry level DSLR models use an APS-C size sensor that's smaller than 35mm film.

As a result, you'll have a narrower angle of view (more apparent magnification) for any given focal length, compared to the same focal length on a 35mm camera.

To see how the angle of view compares, just multiply the focal length by 1.5x.

For example, a 50mm lens on a Sony DSLR-A100 would give you the same angle of view you'd have using a 75mm lens on a 35mm camera (50mm x 1.5 = 75mm).

That's great if you want longer lenses. But, you may find that some of your existing lenses are not wide enough for some uses. That's why most of the "kit" lenses you'll find shipping with DSLR models start out at around 18mm. For example, the Sony 18-70mm DT lens would have the same angle of view on a Sony DSLR-A100 as a 27-105mm lens would on a 35mm camera.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 1:36 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

I've got both the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D (that the Sony DSLR-A100 was mostly based on), as well as the new Sony DSLR-A700, and use a variety of Minolta Autofocus lenses with them.

The *only* lens I have that was designed specifically for DSLR models is the 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 DT AF lens. But, to be frank, it's very rarely used.

These are lenses I use on my Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and Sony Alpha 700: Minolta 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2, 135mm f/2.8, 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5, 35-70mm f/4 Macro; Konica Minolta 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6; Tamron 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5, Tamron 35-105mm f/2.8; Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4. All Autofocus (and all are stabilized on my Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and Sony DSLR-A700), and all were designed for use with 35mm cameras, except for the 18-70mm.

Old Dec 26, 2007, 1:37 PM   #4

WOW!

Thanks, JimC. I think I actually understood your post!!

One more question...

Is there any difference in the way color is perceived by the camera when using a SLR lens vs a DSLR lens?

Old Dec 26, 2007, 1:47 PM   #5
Administrator

In general, no. But, you do see color differences between lenses (on film or digital). Some lenses tend to have warmer or cooler colors compared to others, and some are relatively neutral.

Some newer "made for digital" lenses do have better coatings compared to others, and that can help with flare/ghosting problems that were not as apparent with film. That has to do with the reflectivity of the sensor versus film.

However, I think most of my Minolta lenses do better than my "made for digital" lens in this area. So, you can't believe everything you read from the manufacturers that want to sell you new lenses. ;-)

You really need to take each lens on a case by case basis in areas like this (higher quality lenses are going to have better coatings compared to cheaper, lower quality lenses).

Old Dec 26, 2007, 2:22 PM   #6

JimC,

Off topic, I see that you're from Savannah GA.

Isn't that the home of Paula Dean's restaurant? Is the food there as good as I've heard?

Old Dec 26, 2007, 2:33 PM   #7
Administrator

Apparently so (it's in Savannah). I found it with a Google Search. The menu looks good and it looks like they have an all you can eat buffet available, too:

http://www.ladyandsons.com/dinnermenu.php

I think maybe my wife has mentioned eating there before with friends or coworkers. It does sound familiar. But, I've never been there.

Old Jan 15, 2008, 6:23 PM   #8

FaithfulPastor wrote:
Quote:
JimC,

Off topic, I see that you're from Savannah GA.

Isn't that the home of Paula Dean's restaurant? Is the food there as good as I've heard?

Sorry to butt in, but yeah, Paula Dean's is there. I was in Savannah (great city, BTW) last year and passed by Paula's place on the way to dinner elsewhere. The line at 5:00 was half a block long, so it's at least popular!

Lots of good food in Savannah!
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote