View Poll Results: Which One?
Canon PowerShot A70 5 100.00%
Sony DSC-P72 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 7, 2003, 5:04 PM   #1
RSD

Default Canon A70 vs. Sony DSC-P72

which one should i get
this is going to be my first digicam but i want something that has plenty of features to keep me occupied when i get to know the camera
everystore i goto says the A70 is better because its a canon and has a better lens
is this true?
im sure there are at least some people satisfied with their DSC-P72's

or should i just wait a month and get the new A80 that's coming out

what about customer support and all that?

and whats the highest capacity CF TYPE 1 card the A70 will take?
the canon site says it'll take any. and there are so many companies, speeds, sizes that i'm extremely confused

sorry about asking so many questions. I'm still new at this.
RSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2003, 11:38 PM   #2
RSD

i found this pic at dcresource.com
the trees look purple around the edges and the colours look blurry
does that happen a lot anf if it is frequent, is ther a way to changes the settings so it doesn't occur
Old Sep 8, 2003, 8:29 AM   #3

I can't say anything about the lens on the Sony because, I don't know for certain how much worse or better it is than the Canon's. What I do know is that if you're looking for a camera to play around with after you, get to know it, I would go for the A70 and, I'm not saying that just because I have one. The A70 does give you more manual control over the camera than the Sony. Personally, I liked the way the Canon felt in my hand too, more like a traditional camera.
Hope that doesn't confuse you more.

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 5:39 PM   #4
RSD

no... i didn't get confused but those are some of the reasons that are making me want to get the A70. it has many more maual controls and feels like a camera(my hand gets in the way of the sony's lens).
Since you have an A70, can you tell me if the purple fringing and the blurryness happens a lot?

on and btw i heard that the lcd on the A70 gets scratched easily? is this true?

or should i just wait a month and then get the A80 since its not going to cost that much more (probably just a 100 more right?)
Old Sep 9, 2003, 9:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSD
Since you have an A70, can you tell me if the purple fringing and the blurryness happens a lot?

on and btw i heard that the lcd on the A70 gets scratched easily? is this true?

or should i just wait a month and then get the A80 since its not going to cost that much more (probably just a 100 more right?)
Now, you can take this for what it's worth becuase, I am by no means an expert but, I haven't noticed any problems with purple fringing or softness. You can look at my pics and/or, head over to pbase.com and look through the A70 pics.
The LCD is going to scratch easily, no way around that. Does it scratch easier than others? I really don't know but you can purchase LCD protetors or even buy the ones the sell for PDA's and cut the to fit.
As far as the A80 goes, you have to ask yourself if the added cost is justifiable. You can print out great 8X10's with the A70 but, if you're going to be cropping alot and still want to print out a lot of 8X10's, you might want to consider the extra cost of the A80. Don't forget, no matter what camera you buy, you are going to need a bigger memory card and, you're probably going to want to invest in some goog rechargeable batteries and a charger. This will sest you back around another $100 so, take that into account as well.
I hope this helps and, feel free to ask anymore questions.

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 5:48 PM   #6
RSD

okay so i'll get a screen protector thing
A80 isn't that much more. From what i've seen its only $50-$100 more