for the best. Any tips? Shu
Shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2003, 11:09 PM   #2

Default Re: LCD Screen Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu
difficult to see the LCD screen on my Nikon 5000 in
bright light, had to view the scene on the LCD screen .......couldn't see a thing!!!
This is a perennial topic, and it's astonishing manufacturers leave it to ingenuity and 3rd party accessory suppliers. See the thread http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=12969 for a recent discussion and several hood suppliers, and if you search here on "LCD hood" you'll find lots of discussion about it.

I, of course, favour my own solutions, one of which is to be found at http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...589&highlight=, and the other of which is a classic photographer's black cloth over the head, held in in place by a sunhat. Unfortunately if I'm photographing my family, they run away in embarrassment before I get properly set up.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2003, 6:55 AM   #3

Do you remember when older cams came with 'sports viewfinders' - the flip up wire frame type? Wouldn't work with a zoom lens though!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Do you remember when older cams came with 'sports viewfinders' - the flip up wire frame type?
Alas, yes--sorta shows my age doesn't it. I still have my venerable Graflex 4"x5" Super Speed Graphic. It's loaded with dust but my c-3020 is nice an shiny from lotsa use.

Back OT. One of the considerations that swayed me to get the C-3020 over other models with EVF (C-720 was hot at the time) was the problem of seeing the LCD (whether on the back of the camera or in the eye level finder. The real-scene optical view finder of the C-3020 didn't have any problems in high ambient light.

Having an optical viewfinder is, in some sense, much like having the wire frame and peephole type of framing finder of the old Graflex. As long as you know not to attempt tight framing with it, it works just fine. The Oly's optical finder is pretty acurate (in the ~90% range as I recall) but in any case, like the Nikon 5000, will understate the image area so you are not at risk of missing some important picture element.

IMHO, there is no problem with good optical view finders except at very close range where parallax comes into play. For tight frame shots at close range, your kinda stuck with the LCD.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote