Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:14 PM   #1

Hey guys, im new here and i've been reading this forum for about 2 weeks.Im new to camera world and I recently bought a Canon Xti with the 50mm 1.8f lense. Last weekend i took like 50 millions pictures of my new born nephew. None of the pictures came out right. The area was kind of dark, i've been told by one of my friends that the 50mm 1.8f which is the one i have can do pretty good in dark places. I've tried every setup possible. All ISO, manual focus,automatic, with flash, no flash, etc.. So we moved him where there was enough light. Tried again every setup and same thing. All pictures came out blurry, dark, yellowish etc, a really mess. Could it be that while i take the picture i am moving the camera or anything of that sort? Please help me out, and sorry for a long first post.
kreativ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2008, 7:17 PM   #2

Post a couple of pics directly to this forum (not through a photo website), and maybe we can figure it out.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:32 PM   #3

sorry, i deleted them all, since they were all so blurry.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:35 PM   #4

That's OK, take a couple more.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:27 PM   #5

kreativ wrote:
Quote:
I'm not familiar with the xti, however lots of things can cause blurry pics, although in auto mode that list is quite short. While in auto with flash,are yougetting a focus lock? If not, that's likely the problem. If you are, what shutter speed is the camera setting? If under 1/30 that could be your problem, especially if you don't have image stabilization enabled. If you're getting focus lock and shutter speeds at or above 1/30 something else is at play.

Dennis
erutcip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:01 PM   #6

erutcip wrote:
Quote:
kreativ wrote:
Quote:
I'm not familiar with the xti, however lots of things can cause blurry pics, although in auto mode that list is quite short. While in auto with flash,are yougetting a focus lock? If not, that's likely the problem. If you are, what shutter speed is the camera setting? If under 1/30 that could be your problem, especially if you don't have image stabilization enabled. If you're getting focus lock and shutter speeds at or above 1/30 something else is at play.

Dennis
i was getting the focus lock, and i think that the shutter speed was at 1.8 or maybe 2.0f.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:52 PM   #7

f1.8 or f2.0 refers to aperature, not shutter speed. Aperature refers to how much light is hitting the sensor. Shutter speed is refered to in fractions of, or whole seconds...1/250, 1/60 etc. Posting a pic would allow us to look at the exif info and determine what the issues may be.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:35 AM   #8

correct, sorry about that, i don't really rember the shutter speed. I will take more pictures and see what happens. thanks for all the help.

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
f1.8 or f2.0 refers to aperature, not shutter speed. Aperature refers to how much light is hitting the sensor. Shutter speed is refered to in fractions of, or whole seconds...1/250, 1/60 etc. Posting a pic would allow us to look at the exif info and determine what the issues may be.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:46 AM   #9

It sounds like you need some basic training in photography. There are lots of tutorial sites on the web, and good intro books available as well, so you might try googling for some and reading up a bit. Do post some photos when you get a chance as well, since it's much easier to diagnose problems with an image. HERE is one site that presents very basic explanations of the relationship between shutter speed, aperture, and ISO.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote