Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 26, 2008, 1:07 PM   #1

Twenty -five years ago I bought a Nikon FE2 and a bunch of lens. Is there a digital camera that will alow me to use the Nikkor lens?
tomthbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2008, 1:21 PM   #2

If they are Ai lenses you can use them on any Nikon Body. But no metering with most of them.

For metering with the Ai lenses you will need a D200, D300 or the extreamly expencive D3

You can also get an adapter that will allow you to use them with Canon cameras. But I have no idea how well this works.

Just remember That with all these camera's except the D3 your lenses will have a more telephoto effect than the do on your FE by a factor of 1.5 ie. you 50mm will give the feild of view of a 75mm.

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:11 PM   #3

Olympus or other four-thirds format cameras allow the use of an adapter to take virtually all (except Canon) legacy SLR lenses. I have several Nikkor lenses I use on my Olympus E-300, E-1, and E-3, and they produce unique results.
However, AF is disabled (so manual focusing only), and exposure is either manual or Aperture-priority. Also, unless you use a special electronic interface (called a "Dandelion"), you won't have focus confirmation or in-body Image Stabilization, either. But they are still fun to use. Here's a few samples:

Nikkor SC 55mm f1.2 on Olympus E-3, 1/30s @ f1.2, ISO 1000:

Nikkor SC 55mm f1.2 on Olympus E-1, 1/40s @ f1.2, ISO 100

Nikkor 20mm f3.5 on Olympus E-300, 1/80s @ f5.6, ISO 400

Nikkor 20mm f3.5 on Olympus E-300, 1/640s @f5.6, ISO 200:

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 1:39 AM   #4
Super Moderator

And of course there are adapters to allow just about any SLR lens to work with the Canon EOS mount. What features they have varies of course.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 5:55 AM   #5

I still have my Olympus OM20 with 28 mm, 50 mm and zoom telephoto lenses. I was so disappointed with print quality when I came to Greece that I took very few pictures with my camera. We now have an Oly 2100UZ (but only 2.1 M) and the better half's Pentax M20. I have a bit more spare cash floating about (burning away in my pocket!) I was considering getting a digital SLR. So does this mean my SLR lenses would work OK with a new Oly (or other) digital SLR? They are just basic lenses, no auto anything. It took a lot of hard work to buy my lenses back then and it is such a shame they are no longer used. I can use the OM20 body on my telescope but the lenses are just sitting there
Norm in Fujino those photos are great!
I have no prob with manual/AP exposure but the idea of lack of metering altogether is a bit worriesome - mind you ... since we are talking digi not film, I can snap away till it's right!
drzeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:07 AM   #6

drzeus wrote:
Quote:
I have no prob with manual/AP exposure but the idea of lack of metering altogether is a bit worriesome - mind you ... since we are talking digi not film, I can snap away till it's right!
No, light metering still works; what I said was that IS (image stabilization) and focus confirmation indicator don't work. But!!!--, Olympus just came out with a firmware upgrade last week for the E-510 and E-3 that enables IS with legacy lenses; all you have to do is input the focal length of the lens when using a legacy lens. HOWEVER, the focus confirmation indicator still doesn't work. Everyone's hoping that will be in the next firmware upgrade.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 6:53 AM   #7

Excellent! Thanks for that. Now I just have to sell the other half on the idea! And start reading up on DSLRs.
drzeus is offline   Reply With Quote