Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:45 PM   #11

I think that both kinds are pretty comon. The solid ones are good for exposure adjustment. They make several diffrent colors of the gradient type. I have seen some pretty intresting effects with the colored ones.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 11:00 PM   #12

HI!
The UV question replies were useful, thank you.
CK, your websites are top notch. They solid information, not just opinion.
I got the Quantaray DMC Multicoated UV. Part of the reason was that time was of the essence and they were the only shop (of 3 i visited) that had UV in multicoated variety. Quantaray is a Ritz store brand, like kalypso pointed out, and I am still considering buying Quantaray's Neutral Density and Circular Polarizer filers.
I did not come across reviews or comparisons of that brand on the internet, and I appreciate any more input like kalypsos.

D.G.R.
David G.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 1:47 AM   #13

Default OK...here's one!

Quantray items are made by different companies for different applications (depending on the item). Sunpack (for flashes). Sigma (for lenses), Tiffen (for filters), etc. Some products are good & some are bad...just like the OEM stuff. They are all branded Quantray as Ritz's shop brand (just like Food City weiners are made on the same line as Hormel).

Quantaray multicoated filters work just as good as Tiffens, but I always open them in the store & look at them for clarity & defects...just like any other filter I would buy. Also, make sure you use MULTI-coated filters...they will help reduce flare & only cost a dollar or 2 more. Plus...if you hurry your butt back there with your receipt, you can buy one more filter & get one free!

Something else to consider..multi-coated polarizers are about $38-something each for each lens size. For instance, If you shoot a 52mm lens size along with a 58mm for some other lenses, (& you need a polarzer for each lens) you can get a 52-58mm adapter ring for $5 instead of shelling out another $30-something more for the same filter on a different sized lens. BTW...Always adapt UP!
Old Sep 24, 2003, 3:34 PM   #14

I am testing the Quantaray ND2 and Circular Polarizer filters now.
Can people share what they use the Neutral Density and Polarizer filters for?

What are the differences between results achieved with add-on magnification lenses against the magnification filters?

Lastly, anyone try the HOYA Moose C.Polarizer?

-David.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 6:34 PM   #15

My camera can go to 1/2000sec exposure and f8 but still, sometimes in bright sunlight the shots are over exposed. Also if you wanted to intentionally use a slower shutter speed to get motion blur for instance, and you were at lowest iso and smallest apature and it was still overexposed, nd filters would help.
By the way, a polerizer has the effect of a nd filter too. I almost always use a polerizer when I am shooting in bright sunlight. It works well to reduce reflections and glare which can often be seen on the recorded image as areas that are white that should be a color.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 9:55 PM   #16

Default Filters

I did a test yesterday with my Quantaray (multicoated) UV filters on 2 different lenses using my D30. Tripod, the exact same settings, Halogen hot-lights, etc. Both my 52 & 58mm filters showed zero differences in picute quality or color rendition (using Canon 50mm/f1.8 & a 28-105mm/f3.5-5.6). I also shot at the same f4.0 on both lenses. There was zero difference in any of the images with or without the filters (using PhotoShop to check RGB colors).

Personally, I am leaving my filters on.....
Old Sep 26, 2003, 10:43 PM   #17

I appreciate your post Kalylso.

I found a few threads through google that trashed Quantaray's quality, and its good to hear of an alternate opinion.

Another member of this forum compared different filter brands in a similar way.... he signs his letters CK and his website is hosted a some edu domain... :roll:
Old Sep 27, 2003, 3:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G.R.
I appreciate your post Kalylso.

I found a few threads through google that trashed Quantaray's quality, and its good to hear of an alternate opinion.

Another member of this forum compared different filter brands in a similar way.... he signs his letters CK and his website is hosted a some edu domain... :roll:
I think that reason that they sometimes get trashed is that they take many diffrent manufactures products and put there name on it. Some items are good quality while some are not. If thier filters are made by tiffen and they are made to the same quality standards as tiffen, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 1:38 PM   #19

I made a typographical error.

I meant to say that CK compared different filter brands. The method was similar to how Kalypso compared them - same lighting conditions photos in the same place. Good stuff!