Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:36 AM   #1

Dumb move - Help. Decided it was time to step out of Auto mode at Christmas. Started messing around and boy have I messed up. I have hit reset defaults and nothings helping. I read the manual and still can't comput.

Finally got my standard lens to work on auto again. But my 70-300 AF Nikkor still wont work on auto or manual.

I made sure its on auto but a F-- flashes. It says in manual http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/dslr/D50_en.pdf

I tried several things.. I put it on Manual F-- not flashing but F-- still shows on both top of menu and inside viewfinderI see the F--.. am able to hit the button and it takes a shot but its black when viewed on my picture viewer. On auto the button wont press to take a shot at all.

Anyone have a D50 that can tell me what I have changed that I can fix so my auto works again? I have been using my other standard issued 18-55len till recently when trying out different configuations and locked that sucker up too.. finally fixed it when I changed the AE-L AF-L configuation back. I promise never to mess with configuations again without writing down the normal settings... I am at my wits end. BTW Im not too smart so speak in layman terms if anyone can assist. I appreciate any help. I feel sooostupid *not a uncommon feeling*

Is my lens broke? I haven't dropped it or anything.

learning_mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Administrator

This sounds more like you have some oxidation on the lens contacts or a defective lens.

Remount your lens a couple of times and that should help clean the electrical contacts on the camera and lens to help make sure they are making a good connection.

If your lens has an aperture ring, make sure it's set to the highest f/stop number (f/22, etc.), so that it can communicate with the lens properly.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:50 AM   #3

Aww thanks for posting... Oh i have changed lens for a few months now. It started messing up when I first started around Christmas messing with Manual mode. I have used my camera several times since removing and changing out the lens. Maybe it was just a coincedense that the lens was failing but to reply .. i have changed lens numerous times in the past few months when I had alittle time to "tinker" and figure out what the problem was.

Just am hoping its a setting I am dealing with but fear is its the lens now. darn it. I sure appreciate your input.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Oh Yeah...

While asking... how does one figure the size for a lens cap replacement? I would like to purchase some backups? I only have the 18-55 and 70-300 Nikons. What size would I need?

Do you measure different for snap on that slip ons?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 5:10 AM   #4

The F-- message is not a settings issue. It is a lens or camera problem. From the manual
[align=left]No lens attached, or non-CPU[/align]
[align=left]lens attached.[/align]
[align=left]As for lens cap size if you've got the caps the size is stamped inside. The size of the cap is the diameter of the filter screw thread which is usually on the lens or in the manual that came with the lens.[/align]
[align=left]Ken[/align]
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 6:35 AM   #5

Awww thanks so much for both answers.

Since I may be replacing that lens with something asap. Is there something better out there for the price than the Nikkor 70-300 g series? Looks like it will cost about $150-200 to replace. At one time I saw something about something I could add to my present 18-55mm to make it like a zoom lens.. err called Telephoto Zoom Lenses. I shoot sports shots for a little webpage at school. Also I enjoy shooting distance shots for other events like- low profile weddings and like to step back and take distance shots. Any suggestions what others would suggest. I only own a Nikon D50.

Is there a life-span for a camera? I feel I have shot a zillion shots and wonder. How does one find out how many pictures you have shot with your camera's history. Is there a way to find that out?

Thanks for answering both of you.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 7:04 AM   #6
Administrator

Most of the inexpensive 70-300mm zooms are not going to differ that much in quality, and most will tend to be a bit softer much above around 200mm. One popular budget choice is the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro (and make sure you get the APO version). It's around $229 now. But, I wouldn't expect to see much difference betweeen it and your Nikkor.

For a larger step up in quality (brighter, sharper, faster focusing), I'd probably look at something like a Sigma 100-300mm f/4 (which sells for around $1000), provided you only plan to shoot daytime sports. For night sports, you'll want a zoom that can maintain f/2.8 throughout it's focal range.

As for the number of shutter actuations on your camera, it's stored in the "Maker Notes" section of the EXIF embedded in your photos. Some EXIF readers can decode this information for you. One free product that can tell you shutter actuations is http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/

Old Feb 19, 2008, 7:09 AM   #7
Administrator

P.S.

If you want more feedback on lenses, you may want to start a thread in our Nikon Lenses Forum

I'd make sure to give plenty of details on the type of sports you want to shoot, and the conditions you'll want to shoot them in (day or night, vantage point), along with your desired budget.

Old Feb 19, 2008, 5:37 PM   #8

Thanks to all for helping me out. Have a wonderful week and upcoming weekend.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 5:59 PM   #9

Hi,

It was mentioned before but you didn't mention having tried it or not: be sure that the aperture ring on the lens is set on its smallest (highest number) aperature. If you're not sure where it is--when you attach the lens to the camera it is the ring that has numbers printed on it (1.4, 2.0, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, and 22).Hope that helps!
callurl("http://www.timebanditphoto.com/exposure.htm");StartAdv2();
class=forrasurl

bearnut2 is offline   Reply With Quote