Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 15, 2003, 1:31 PM   #1

Default Water shots with Nikon 4500 - take a look

I just got into digital photography and here's a photo I have seen across the web, shot with a Canon G3:

Macro Mode
Internal flash: -2
Shutter: 1/160s
Aperture: F3,5
ISO 50

Result:

So I tried to get a similar result with my Nikon CP 4500, here's what I got:

Macro Mode
Internal flash: -2
Shutter: 1/125
Metering: Spot (not matrix)
Aperture: F3.4
Mode: Manual
EXP +/- : -1.7
Focal length: f15.80mm
Focus: AF
ISO: 100
Whitebalance: Sunny

My Result:

I wanted to get the drop sharper + the colors look more real.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong with these settings or give me any tips?

Btw, both pictures where shot without a tripod.

Thanks in advance.
kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2003, 2:58 PM   #2

How such sounds familiar, you know the good stuff and try to do similar and up something far from desired.

Strange nowbody answered your question before, let me have a hummble try, others may have much more expertise.

The example watertap is located in a colour full room, in the drop you can see what is too vague. The background of photo is only a nice hint of bright colors thanks to big aperture (low value).
Your watertap has a kitchen sink background, not a room. The sink with glass on it ,is close enough to show shapes eventhough not sharp. You could have tried a lower aperture value. Better would be trying a different angle were kitchen interior instead of sink becomes background.

In the example image we do not see the front end of the tap, this eliminates outblown highlights. But it also hides the fact that the photo focus point is on the distant end of the tap, were the drop falls. The more nearby the focus the smaller DOF (depth of field), with macro mode every cm counts, somethinmes even mm.

And last but also important, the example photo used a new watertap, or atleast with a new filter ;-) This also adds to clarity of the overal picture.

So in short; try different angle with room as background to take the shot. Lock focus on rear end of tap (from your point of view).

Good luck and don't bath your camera ;-)
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 3:32 PM   #3

Kingfisher,

As Mathilde pointed out much of the disparity has to do with focus and the lighting. I concur, the focus point is near the back of the tap. In macro mode the Depth of Field is extremely narrow with large f-stops. Use manual focus and pre-set it near the back of the tap. You may have to move the camera back and forth if it doesn't allow manual focussing in macro mode.

I haven't tried it myself but I might even take a crack at it.

I also figure you probably realize this shot in the ad was perhaps one of a hundred that they took. Many of the the other 99 probably look a lot like yours.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 8:00 PM   #4

Kingfisher, what I forgot to say is; The fact that you managed to capture same almost breaking of drop as in example image, is intriging. Shutterdelays on digital cameras makes such very difficult. If this was just a lucky shot, be blessed, if this is some special talent of you, be proud.
Old Sep 22, 2003, 7:31 AM   #5

first of all thanks for all the helpful comments!

@Mathilde uP
It was a lucky shot out of hundreds I made.

@all
since I "only" have a CP 4500, it's difficult to manually lock the focus at the right distance, since it doesn't have a specific measurement indicator but just a small graph that indicates the focus distance...

However, I managed to fix the focus on the waterdrops but still the image remains ugly, lol, I suppose it's not only the totally (ab)used filter =)

kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 8:13 AM   #6

Ha, eventough your tap is not like the advertised one, very good. If you cannot manual focus your camera you might trick it to focus at desired spot.

At long distance; frame desired focus point in middle of view halfpress shutter and reframe while keeping the shutter halfpressed. (even the most dumb camera can't resist this trick, and you got a good camera)

With macro shot of ocassional waterdrop you can fool the camera in a different way. (Maybe use a tripod to keep it simple). Frame the shot. Hold a white stick were waterdrop will be, half press shutter, take stick away and wait for the right moment. Ofcourse you can also use a black object or red object, but it will influence light metering. (with black focuss aid object you could end up with way overblown waterdrop). If your camera has only 1 exact focus distance in macro mode, look at Selvin tip.

Did you notice your final shot had another artistic potential? If you had used highest aperture value you could have ended up with mirroring the tap and drop in the tap basis. Maybe first remove the paint spot ? ;-)

Succes
Old Sep 22, 2003, 4:03 PM   #7

ok.... so now that I've spent an entire DAY in my kitchen!

These pics were snapped with my little Casio Z3. And after a few hours I dragged out my Canon G2 to take advantage of the flip out display. Couple of observations:

1) I'm thinking someone must have used some kind of something to light the background. What do you guys think? Guess I'll have to drag my studio lights in the the kitchen!

2) Shutter delay! The Canon shutter delay was horrible compared to my Casio. I just could never time the Canon just right. Guess I'll be spending another evening in the kitchen.

3) The Canon flip out display lets you put the camera in really awkard places to get that better angle of view.

Ok.. now where did i leave that hot shoe adaptor???

john
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 9:20 PM   #8

After being such a loudmouth, I thought to try it for myself. Having a Canon 10D slr it should be easy, he? Ok the lense I have does have macro end, but even with additional macrofilter, it doesn't 'Nikon' close (and I did not want to crop or photoshop a lot).

Using a macro filter also made things more difficult as just 4mm forward or backward changed focus drastic. As I shot out of hand, this caused a lot of blurred pictures. Add to that some macrofilter edge blurr and indeed like Selvin said; Shoot 100 images, and get just a few interesting.

Also dslr cameras have only the optical viewfinder to use. The photos are made at night with artificial light and flash.

Kingfisher, my tap is even worse than yours.

Exposure 1/180, Aperture 5.6 (lower was impossible), iso 100, flash compensation -1, focallength 130mm

Also tried the kitchen sink (camera would hardly fit in sink for down under shot), with a big halogene lamp behind it.

Exposure 1/125, Aperture 5.6 (lower was impossible), iso 800, flash compensation -1/2, focallength 130mm

Water running reversed? Well guess what caused it ;-p
Old Sep 22, 2003, 10:45 PM   #9

This is a very informative thread! I will definitely have to try this out when I get my cam...
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 7:38 PM   #10

Dang...

These are some awesome water drop photos!

They rank with the immortal milk drop splash of
Edward Steichen from many, many years ago!

Kudos to all of you!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote