Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:43 AM   #1

I will be in SF starting tomorrow through Sunday and it will be raining most of the week - but "lite" rain. I know the camera needs to be protected. I've readshower caps, a plastic bag with a rubber band around the lens etc work well. And in terms of settings, I willexperiment withraising ISO since it will probably be on the dark side.Also cold. Alcatraz should be totally creepy. Any and all othertips you have for shooting in inclement weather would be muchappreciated.

Iam takinga Canon 400D/XTiwith10-20mm and 28-135mm lenses.
sketchpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2008, 3:12 PM   #2

Rain and heavy mist. That's about the only time I use a UV or plain glass filter over my front lens element as well as lenshoods (which I always use)... so I don't worry too much when I have to do a lot of wiping to get raindrops or mist off the lens.

To that end, I use microfiber cloths purchased in bulk at Sams Club ... I take 2-3 with me, always keeping them as dry as possible. A REAL smallish piece of soft, new, no-dirt to scratch the lens, used-on-lenses-only, chamois can work very well as it can be wrung out and reused, followed by a wipe with the microfiber cloth.

And bagging it like you already know is a very inexpensive way to protect the camera.

Only time I do anything else is underwater ... then I use my underwater housings!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 3:54 PM   #3

Thank you!
sketchpad is offline   Reply With Quote