Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 23, 2003, 6:36 AM   #11

Yith, after buying something expensive and delecate as a digital camera, it should be checked for errors. Last month I had a total of three new cameras going through my hands (exellent brands). All had a small error. After calling manufacturer I received the usual swap it in for another model or send in repair asap. If you wait a few month, not only is your camera at that time $50 cheaper in the shop, but in case of a flaw you can only opt for month taking repair traject, so you risk ending up using your cp 4500 in spring .....
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 7:49 AM   #12

I've tried it out quite a bit. In the shop and in the car on the way back. I also checked with the guy in the shop about warranties etc... So far everything has been fine.
Yith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 8:39 AM   #13

Did you also try a white and blackshot at short and long exposure? And a grid in normal light? And inspect the result on monitor screen? Even the best cameras can have a dead pixel, lense flaws or other 'you wouldn't want that in every picture' (and the manufacturer doesn't want the negative credit such would bring on them).
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:22 AM   #14

Default Re: Looking for a great camera for Miniature photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yith
Hi, I've been taking quite a few pictures of wargaming miniatures with my Olmypus DC340R. I've been generally relatively happy with the quality of the shots up until recently and now I think I need a new camera. What finally made up my mind was this pic.
From the above image, it appears to me that you might have a focusing problem. The foreground seems focused better than main subject. Does DC340R have a macro mode in which you can select an area of the subject to focus? Can you adjust aperture to use a smaller one?

Quote:
These is some of the detail visible but not all, the colour is washed out and it looks like its almost out of focus... but its not a focus problem.
The color problem may be due to over-exposure. In your image, only the small center portion is bright while the surrounding area is dark. This situation can easily fool the camera meter, especially the multi-segment ones, to counter the average illumination by increasing exposure. As a result, the bright portion will become washed out. Can you use spot metering?

Quote:
I have had the Nikon Coolpix range recommended to me by many people over the last few years because of their ability to focus down to 2cm with the macro mode. The problem is I'm not sure what the current models are and which one to choose. Has anyone got any ideas?
The most current mode, which is on its way out soon, is Coolpix 4500. The 950, 990, 995 and 4500 series is perhaps the best consumer type digital cameras with the great macro capability. Keep in mind that the 2cm working distance may not be THE advantage. In fact, it may be a disadvantage. Consider this: when you move your camera 2cm in front of the subject, how can you set up the light source? As a result, some special light equipment is needed for such a short distance. Note that flashes, ring flashes included, may wash out the color because digicams usually have larger minimum aperture which is still too large for flash lights. Nikon has a Cool-Light SL-1 made for the above mentioned cameras. Samigon's Halo Right Light FRL-1 is brighter and more versatile. Take a look at the SL-1 and FRL-1 pages in the "Odd Stuffs" section of my Coolpix 4500 user guide for the details. Most subjects in those sample shots are small from 1.5cm to 5cm.

Quote:
Failing that what about other models? Does anyone think there is anything else I could do to improve that picture?
In addition to the 4500, the 5700 is also very good. PRO: it uses a longer focal length for macro and focuses down to 3cm. This means for general shots you will have a longer working distance for better lighting and composition. CON: supporting accessories are not as many as those for the 4500. You cannot use the SL-1. To use FRL-1, you will an adapter. The Coolfix 5700 Adapter is the most popular one. Check here: http://members.rogers.com/nextphoto/coolfix5700.htm

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 3:11 AM   #15

shene,

Thanks for your suggestions... The DC340R doesn't have most of the features that you're on about so, I'll try and use them on my 4500 when I get access to it.

The link to your user guide should also prove very helpful!
Yith is offline   Reply With Quote