Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:38 PM   #1

Hello all!
I'm new on this forum and I would like to make a "newbie" question, here it goes:
After having some classes about photography, I've decided to buy for my camera (Canon PowerShot G7) a Polarizer filter by Hama, its diameter is 49mm (?). And what I would like to know is, which adapter should I buy to use this filter?
thank you
melgashop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2008, 8:18 PM   #2

melgashop, any specific reason (besides price) that you want to get a 49mm filter?

Here's something from Lensmateonline, which makes a 58mm filter adapter for the G7:

1.Why isn't there a Lensmate 52mm adapter for the G9/G7?
Due to the design of the G9/G7s zoom lens, it retracts about 15mm when zoomed back to the wide setting from the full telephoto setting. Because the lens is recessed so far in the adapter tube at the wide setting, vignetting occurs with a 52mm diameter adapter with even a single filter. Though vignetting is very slight, a 52mm adapter would have very limited usefulness on the G9/G7, so we elected not to make one.

If what they say about vignetting is correct, then vignetting would be an even more serious problem using a 49mm filter.

The adapter that Canon makes (LA-DC58H) is available here.....

http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/p...FQQilwod4G8F9Q

......for $15.00. It also uses 58mm filters, so there's probably something to the above-mentioned vignetting issue. A 58mm filter is going to be more expensive than a 49mm would be, but at least it would let you shoot at wider angles without the adapter and filter interfering with the edges of the frame.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 9:27 PM   #3

thanks for the tip, Grant. Actually I didn't make a big search about this stuff, all I wanted was a polarizer filter and I found this one at a reasonable price. Anyway, I'll try to sell it and get a bigger one. Thanks for the tip!
Regards,
Jorge
Old Apr 27, 2008, 5:59 PM   #4

Just one more question........does it matter if I buy a filter bigger than 58mm? Thanks in advance
Old Apr 27, 2008, 6:48 PM   #5

I doubt it.

If you get the standard 58mm adapter, you would need to use a step-up ring to match the adapter's 58mm threads to the filter's larger diameter threads. As long as the step-up ring is no thicker than the average filter ring, there shouldn't be any increased chance of vignetting.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 7:17 PM   #6

Many thanks, Grant. Actually, I'm thinking about getting a bigger filter so I won't need to buy new ones if I get a new camera, that's why I've made that question. Thanks!