Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:35 AM   #1

I recently aquuired an EOS 20D from my father and I have a few questions about the possibility of remote capture or remote control of the camera. I am going to be using the camera primarily for Astrophotography and will not be able to manually touch the camera to take an image, so I need a device or piece of software that will do this for me. I have a laptop I use on a regular basis wich is a MacBook Pro OS 10.4 (Leapord)...with that being said, I am having difficulty finding a tool to use that is compatible with my machine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich Peace
peacera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:11 PM   #2
Administrator

Have you tried the latest version of Canon's EOS Capture software if the one that came with the camera isn't working on your Mac? I know they had some problems with newer versions of OS X at one point, and I don't know if they've been solved or not.

You may also want to check out some of the software we have listed in the Camera Control section of Steve's Digicam Software lists.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 7:49 PM   #3

I have seen many references to that software, however my father did not have the disk to download the software. Could anyone provide me with a location to download the EOS capture software from?
Old Mar 19, 2008, 7:57 PM   #4
Administrator

Go to the Drivers and Downloads tab, select your operating system (otherwise, not all downloads will be listed), and you'll see EOS Capture 1.5 for Mac OS X in the list of available downloads.

Link to Canon EOS-20D Drivers and Downloads

Old Mar 19, 2008, 8:15 PM   #5
Administrator

P.S.

EOS Capture is not a stand alone application and is entered via one of the software packages listed below (so, you'll need to have one of these installed, too). I don't see the full versions of these products in the download lists. So, you may need to find the Software that came with the camera.
  • ZoomBrowser 5.2.1 or later[/*]
  • Digital Photo Professional 2.0.2 or later[/*]
  • EOS Viewer Utility 1.2.0 or later[/*]
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:57 AM   #6

One error I just realized I made in my origional post...I am actually using OS 10.5 on my Mac. I have exhausted countless hours trying to get this software installed and configured. I can not find anywhere to download any of the applications that are required to use the EOS Capture, so at this point I am still unable to take pictures with any other way than physically holding my camera and pressing the button. Part of my issue I am sure is the fact I am a new Mac user, can anyone point me to a good document explaining what needs to be done to use this software? Thanks in andvance for any assistance.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 2:10 PM   #7
Administrator

You'll probably need to have one of the software packages that came with the camera to get it working.

After that, you could install any updates needed like the newer 1.5 version of Canon EOS Capture for Mac. I don't think Canon provides full versions of the software that ships with their cameras online (only updates to that software).

You may want to try contacting Canon and see if they can provide the original CDs separately via mail (although you'd probably have to pay them for the software if they'd agree to it). I'd check and see.