Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:43 AM   #1

I just purchased a Pentax K10d used online, and when I got it something seemed odd to me, and I was wondering if anyone else could tell me if this is normal or not. When I tilt the camera sideways, something heavy shifts slightly to the side inside the camera. If I tilt it the other way, it slides back. I have no idea what it is, and it doesn't seem to be affecting the function of the camera. Does this happen on all K10D's or should I send off for a different one?

It's never happened on any mechanical SLR I ever owned, so it kind of concerns me. Takes great pictures, though.
generalklagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2008, 7:59 PM   #2

I think you've got a screw loose.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:36 PM   #3

Just a guess, but is the battery you are using a Pentax brand ? An off-brand battery might possibly have a bit of play, and cause what you are experiencing.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:42 PM   #4

I thought the same thing, intitally, but it still does it even with the battery out...

I heard from a friend that it might be the shake reduction gyro, but I also realize it may be a screw.

I'd like to hear some more people weigh in on this.... and thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:47 PM   #5

"I think you've got a screw loose."

Funny, but most likely accurate...

...sorry General...

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:00 PM   #6

Now that I've regained my composure...

What is inside that camera, that is heavy and could be sliding around? Pentaprism come unglued? How's your viewfinder?

the Hun

Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:09 PM   #7

That's the mysterious part. Pentaprism is okay, the shifting occurs in the right hand side left of the battery compartment. Whatever it is, it's definitely heavy. At first I thought it was the entire chassis moving around in the plastic body, but if it were the case, wouldn't that have a pretty big impact on picture quality? (as in, the thing probably wouldn't even power on I wouldn't think...). The camera takes super photos, and all the mechanical and digital functions seem spot on.

But something big and heavy definitely is shifting around when I tilt the camera.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 4:18 PM   #8

I had originally thought of the chassis, but there would have to be more than a screw loose - like a whole bunch of them for that to happen. Do you have the optional battery grip? There's a storage area in the bottom of that. The only other thing I can think of would be a transformer. I don't know if there is one on that camera, but if it is, it would probably be near the battery compartment, and be heavy. Does it happen with no lens on the camera?

If you really want to find out, take the camera down to a local testing lab and have them x-ray it...two shots - one with the object shifted right, and one with it shifted left. Maybe you could get them interested enough in your mystery to do it for nothing.

If that doesn't work, take a plane ride. After it goes through the x-ray machine once, ask security if you can put it through a second time (shift the object over to one side or the other after the first). They'll be so concerned, they'll probably give it extra scrutiny, and find the unknown object. They might also take it apart for you and/or dump it in a bucket of water.

the Hun

Old Apr 3, 2008, 7:21 PM   #9

Thanks. I'm sure the TSA will be courteous and professional in every regard... :roll: I hadn't considered the possibility of an internal transformer, though. I guess with off-market batteries available they might want to give the camera a little leeway in what it can take, huh?

I simulataneously posed the same question on a Pentax forum, and two guys there said that all K10d's do this. The explanation they give is that the sensor plate kind of floats around on a gyro that's used for the Shake Reduction function.

Anyway, if that's true, then all of the Pentax SLRs on display down at my local electronics store should do the same thing, so I figured I might go compare.

If they don't do the same thing mine does, it goes back to the store, no harm done. Tomorrow I'll write the conclusion to this gripping drama.

Old Apr 3, 2008, 7:54 PM   #10

I can understand the sensor plate having to move, but I wouldn't have thought it would just be slopping around loose like that. The again, what do I know?

Can't wait to hear the definitve answer.

the Hun