Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

View Poll Results: CANON PowerShot A70 or CASIO QV-R40
CANON PowerShot A70 7 70.00%
CASIO QV-R40 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 22, 2003, 10:26 PM   #1

Default Really having trouble between Canon A70 and Casio QV-R40!

I am having great trouble in deciding which of the following I should get. Casio sums up to a pretty quick camera, where you really won't notice its shutter lag at certain modes. The Canon sums up to mroe options for the user, yet somehow at a steeper price, and a slower unit compared to Casio's. Here a small rundown of the two.

Canon PowerShot A70 (18,995 from where I live, Manila)
3 Megapixel
Overflowing Manual Controls for this price!
Lens add-ons
Movie with Audio
I have to add 3,500 for a 1800 Canon NiMH Battery and charger pack

Casio QV-R40 (18,995 from where I live, Manila)
4 Megapixel
Very quick startup and shutter lag times.
comes with a pair of 2100mAh NiMH Batteries
11MB Builtin Memory, with expandable SD/MMC support
Lots of BEST SCENE modes!
Histogram feature...

Well, it all comes down to the megapixels. I'm not really going to be doing prints, I'll be using the photos more for web and email, yet I've seen somewhere that I won't be able to reproduce good zoomed out portions of 2 MP pics, compared to 3 or 4MP ones.

I was quite dissapointed with the Canon's lag times, into which I experienced first hand when I tried on the A70. Other than that, I'm also unsure if I will be using all of the manual controls in the future.

Some people have mentioned I take a look with Nikon, or Konica cameras, but I think I have managed to weed out all the options down to these two.

Any help is greatly appreciated, since the QV-R40 is a very new camera, no one has managed to put out a good review, other than Steve. So I guess, help on the features is what I need.

Cheers!
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2003, 11:04 PM   #2

In reading your post it sounds as though you are really leaning toward the Casio especially since you don't seem sold on all the extras the Canon provides. Also you mention editing the photos and needing extra resolution, that points to 4 MP. But which cam has the better lens system or color rendition? My money would be on the Canon but I don't know for sure.
mrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 11:28 PM   #3

You got me curious about the R-40, you're right there's not much on it right now. The R4 is evidently very similar to the Pentax Optio series - maybe the same thing according to Steve. I saw issues with the lens and with sharpness in general. Also, it does not appear that in this size (a general statement) that 4mp gives a whole lot of advantage over 3mp; I have noted this now in some reviews that the reviewer is more likely to complain about the lens in cameras offering 4 p vs cams offering 3mp, meaning that perhaps the electronics in the 4mp cams are better than the lenses they are hooked up with. Does the R40 have sound in the movies? I believe I noted that the R4 does not. The Canon does.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 11:32 PM   #4

Question, did you look at the Panasonic LC33? wondering what you thought of that, seems to me it's a possibility.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 11:58 PM   #5

Thanks for your sharing your views!
Will look into that Panasonic Model... I'll be back!
Old Sep 25, 2003, 3:21 PM   #6

Darkthrone, sorry to add to your confusion, but if shutterlag is an issue (and I wholehartly do recommend anyone to stay away from slow cameras), why not a Fuji? Good colors and on average their cameras are quite responsive (but always double check )

A bit more expensive and more massive the Fuji S602. It is one of the most repsonsive cameras on prosumer market. But you might also be lucky finding a last F601 in shops, it is a squashed S602 with smaller lense (and less pro approach in menus). I'm pretty impressived with the response of this camera.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 3:38 PM   #7

Default Casio R40 vs Sony P72 vs Canon A70

I found this comparison gallery very useful
http://galleriet.akamera.no/albup83?&page=1
Lids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2003, 7:59 AM   #8

You just can't have a little bit of everything can't you? I mean, Canon has all these manual controls, yet Casio offers such a fast response time.

I'm stuck between the two, first and foremost because of the price. Do "I have to wait until Thanksgiving season?

To top that, I just crashed my hard disk and am viewing the forum from an internet cafe.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 10:47 AM   #9

Hey guess what, I ended up getting an OLYMPUS Camedia C-740 Ultra Zoom! Hehehe... In fact I'm getting it tomorrow! :lol:
Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:00 AM   #10

DarkThrone

Congrats. I also received the Oly C740Z a few weeks ago. It takes some amazing ultra zoom pics. Great outdoor camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote