Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 24, 2003, 1:50 AM   #1

Default Wanting to buy a Digital Camera

I am an absolute beginner to digital photography and I am wanting to purchase a camera which is pretty straightforward to use, yet will allow me to perform advanced functions when i become more compitent with it.

I wish to take landscape photographs as well as photographs of people working (an art thing i have got an interest for). i would also like to be able to create black and white photgraphs as well as color

My budget is a maximum of $400.

Please help me with some recommendations as there are so many cameras out there, I do not want to get a poor deal for my money
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2003, 2:12 AM   #2

The canon a70 is a decent little camera. Easy to use with room to grow into. It is well under your budget and the extra money will come in handy. You will need things like larger memory card, rechargable batteries (or a spare battery), tripod right off the bat, if you really want to start using it.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 10:38 AM   #3

The Olympus C740Z can be purchased on line for under $400 dollars. It is a 10X optical zoom, 3.2 mp and has many options for the beginner and advanced user. It has preset modes for portrait, landscape and several other settings.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 10:52 PM   #4

Well I have been at it for a week now and have built a spreadsheet showing different stores and sites and listing commonly found cameras & prices; I also did a survey on memory mainly so I could see what's hot and what's not. What's the max size you'll want the pics to be? if not much larger than 8x10 then you'll be happy with a 3.1 megapixel. Go to a 4 mp if you need even more resolution. The players for me seem to be Canon, Sony, Nikon, maybe Minolta, Panasonic & Casio too. How small do you need it to be? That narrows the field considerably if it has to be super small. Expect some trade-offs in performance for tiny cameras but some are surprisingly good. If it does not need to be too tiny, I have already identified Canon A70, Nikon CoolPix 3100, Panasonic LC33 (which I'm still trying to learn about) and probably two or three Sonys including the DSC P92. Allow an extra $100 to $150 for memory, case, battery & reader, so if your max is $450 for instance, then maybe a 3 mp is the way to go. A few models come with cradles which serve as readers I guess. As for memory I have seen that some prefer Compact Flash which seems to be reasonably priced. When you ask someone for help, you have to state the price range (you did); you also need to say if a large handheld is ok or not or does it need to be pocket sized? What features do you want or don't you want? You might state what you've learned so far. Hope this helps.. D
mrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 11:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
The Olympus C740Z can be purchased on line for under $400 dollars. It is a 10X optical zoom, 3.2 mp and has many options for the beginner and advanced user. It has preset modes for portrait, landscape and several other settings.
Took your advise and purchased the Olympus C740z.

Cant wait until it arrives!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote