Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 12, 2008, 6:38 AM   #1

I was in downtown Denver a while ago and took a picture of Downtown Denver from Red Rock Ampitheatre with my wife's camera (we'd accidentally swapped camera bags when we went out that morning).

When I came to look at the pictures later, this one seems to have a lighter inner circulararea and darker area round the sides. Is there a reason for this or did I screw something up? In this case I quite like it but can imagine that it might get in the way sometimes, so is there something I can do to stop in happening in future?

Just so you know what I'm talking about, here's a copy of the picture!
Attached Images

JimBowen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2008, 7:23 AM   #2

This is vignetting. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignetting) Basically, the lens doesn't pass as much light at the edges and corners as it does in the center.

There's no EXIF data attached to your photo, so I can't see the settings used to take the photo, or what camera you used.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 8:07 AM   #3

Um, I'm not sure if this'll help, but it was an Olympus SP-570, on automatic setting, 1/500s exposure, f/5 apperture, 76.2mm focal length, ISO 64, 0/10 EV exposure bias, pattern metering mode, JPEG Quality 2 compression, with a width of 3443 pixels and a height of 2661.

So is there anything (not too difficult) that I can do about it?
JimBowen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 8:56 AM   #4

That's at the wide end of the aperture scale, but not wide open, and at the long end of the focal length, but not full telephoto. That is not where I'd expect to see that much vignetting. I don't know if this is typical of the Olympus SP-570, but I'd be disappointed if it were my camera.

Were you using an accessory lens of some kind?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 10:26 AM   #5

I agree with TCav that you shouldn't see that much vignetting with the settings that where in use for that photo. I could only find a few sample of UZ570 photos but those I found didn't have that much vignetting. Filters (skylight, etc.) or lens adapters would be my first suspicion and then camera defect.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 1:41 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Agreed, most likely filters or something like that.

But it's pretty easy to correct in Photoshop if you are otherwise happy with the camera.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote